BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cannibal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/122566-cannibal.html)

Justin C[_39_] February 2nd 11 11:11 PM

Cannibal

In article , Jessica B wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:51:21 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Twart? Isn't that across something?

It's the seat you sit on when you're rowing, or (probably) any other
seat athwart (across) the boat.

I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

Davits. Little cranes that lift the boat out of the water. Apparently
good for deterring dinghy theft. I don't like 'em, I think they ruin the
look of a nice boat. I'd be worried in heavy weather, with following,
breaking seas that a wave would take away the dinghy or take away the
dinghy and davits or take the dinghy and *one* davit and I've have the
whole kit and caboodle fixed to my boat by the other davit and surfing
down a wave *into* the back of my boat or wrap around my rudder, or,
most drastic, both davits and the dingy go and I get left with huge
holes in the back of my boat! Nope, don't like em!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Justin C[_39_] February 2nd 11 11:12 PM

Cannibal

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:43:58 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:43:08 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

I blush to argue but the saying "The wogs begin at Calais" was
originated by George Wigg, Labour MP for Dudley, in 1949. In a
parliamentary debate concerning the Burmese, Wigg shouted at the Tory
benches, "The Honourable Gentleman and his friends think they are all
'wogs'. Indeed, the Right Honourable Member for Woodford [i.e. Winston
Churchill] thinks that the 'wogs' begin at Calais.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

Had never heard that! How times change.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Bob February 2nd 11 11:39 PM

Cannibal

He is ALWAYS on the internet typing. People with a life dont spend
this much time typing unless your 70+ an tird of cross word puzzels.
He is too old, his boat too small and has too little to cruise. Soooo
here he is.

And mostly he is just scared to cut the lines and just go.

You are absolutly true. that was my pitifal attempt at critisizing
Wilbur. I gues Im not very good at it. Ill keep working at the
personal attacks and maybe I get to be as Wilbur.

Your are right about small voyage boats. In my 20s I trailored my 15'
plywood sailing dory (sprit rig) down to Baja Mexico. I spent 4 months
living and sailing around the mid part of Sea of Cortez in 1978. It
was prety still pretty wild then.

Although people have made open boat cross ocean voyages I would have
passed that advenure up even at age 24.

Me Im stuck in hawaii now killing time. Humm I think Ill go snorkeling
2maro
bob

Whacha doing in Hawaii?
Cheers,
Bruce

Visiting a loved one. I usually spend 2-4 weeks here every 4-6 months.
Now that Im not working as an AB I have lots more oportunity for
visiting :)

Oh, an old friend of mine just finished building a house outside of
Udon. He isnt a boat person,,,, obviously. He seems to like i. Said
total cost of house constructoin was $5,000 USD. Its small and sparce
by US standards but looks pretty nice from the pics. His Thai gf is
pretty cute too. I may have to fly over and give him a visit. Mind if
I stop by your place for a cordial spot of tea?

boB

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:00 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:25:59 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

At least he's probably not having an affair because he wouldn't be
sleeping
in his clothes. LOL!

Not a chance... believe me. Well, I guess there must be one other
woman out there who likes balding, over-weight...

Ouch. I'm bald. :-( Not overweight, though. :-)

Hah! Got you! Bald is totally fine, unless you have one of those
pretend haircuts where men flop over some stupidly long bangs to make
it look like they have hair. I'm sure that fools at least a few blind
people.

Overweight, then I'd have to pass. All that jiggling mess... yuck!

Or, run away!!!

Ummm... I ran track.. :-D

There is no refuge from your PMS then. :-) You can run but you can't hide.

You've heard that expression... he chased her until she caught him?
lol

snip

Sounds pretty strong to me. Your arms in the bikini picture didn't look
muscle bound or anything. But, it looked like you had some pretty nice
"pecs". LOL!

Jeeez... Just remember that was from a while ago. I'm toned but
definitely not muscle bound. I go to the gym a few times a week after
work or early evening.. typically Mon/Wed/Fri, and I ride on Sat
mornings.

Do you have a riding partner? If not you should find one who is about the
same level as you are, perhaps a little faster. It's much more fun and you
get in shape faster and better with a training partner. Riding by myself I
get lazy and don't go if the conditions are a little inclement. But, when
I'm expected to show up then it's more motivation.

No.. well, I did have my best gf who used to ride with me, but she had
to move for work. The other two are just wimps (great folks, but
wimps). Sometimes I chat with this guy on one of the stationary bikes
at the gym, but I'm not sure I want to have him around my place. You
never know.

I typically ride for about 5 miles each way. So, that a good
distance... stop for a gelato or something, then head home.

You must get a few storms in your area... the Keys I guess?

About five years ago we got five tropical storms and hurricanes in a
freaking row one summer and fall. It was a real painal in the anal. But,
since then, we've been lucky because there have been none since. We're due.
Definitely due. Yes, the Florida Keys. A wonderful place for sailing.

Man.. I'd love to go someday... there must be some wonderful beaches
to just sit on and run the sand through your toes (long-time hobby of
mine).

I guess there's a storm season, so just avoid that and I should be ok.

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:16 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:37:05 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:15:04 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

Also when camping. Put the clothes in a 5 gal bucket, add water, some
detergent, and stomp for a while. Works fine. It's not like I'd be
bringing chiffon dress or something (well maybe for a shore
excursion).

Or evening daquairis at the raw bar.

Raw bar? Like oysters?

Right, but, around here, they have all kinds of good un-raw seafood, too. I
don't do raw oysters. Yuck!

I've had them, but I think you have to be really careful about that.
I'm not a huge sushi fan anyway. Cooked eel is ok, which creeps out my
friends, but heck it's cooked!

snip

Ok.. well, I was concerned about conserving water... you must have to
either carry it to the boat or pull in somewhere, so I can imagine it
would be at a premium. But... regular soap doesn't work really well in
salt water, and I'm not sure I'd use detergent.

Yes, I have to jug it all out in the dinghy. That's why I conserve it as
much as I can.

I bet.. I guess one way or another, you have to get water to the boat.
Can't you drive it into the shore somewhere and fill up?

Many shampoos are just perfumed detergent, I think. I know some body washes
are detergent for sure. I like Old Spice High Endurance body wash and the
ingredients list various forms of sodium sulfate. I thing that's another
word for detergent. I'm sure it is because it also foams up in salt water.
Bar soap won't do anything in salt water. It's like rubbing a bar of wax.
LOL!

I use this... doubt it would work in salt water, but it has a very low
toxic chemical issue.

http://evolvingwellness.com/posts/54...treat-shampoo/

With my hair, I definitely use a blow dryer, otherwise it would only
take a week and a half to dry it... lol But with short hair it's not
needed.

Sounds like you have nice, thick hair. It looks sort of auburn. It that the
natural color. It would undoubtedly look very sexy and sassy short.

I'd say it's moderately thick. Definitely not thin. When I was a kid
my brother called me bristle head (I had a crew cut because I got head
lice).

It's really a very dark brown.. almost black. Auburn is a bit too
light, but it's in the neighborhood. Of course, it depends on the
auburn..

snippage

Yeah, I'm always paranoid about getting burned. I tend to blister and
get splotchy.

You just need somebody with a nice touch to apply lots of SPF40 where you
can't reach. But, and this is funny, I've noticed women seem to be
double-jointed in their arms. Women seem to be able to twist their arms at
really crooked angles and they can turn their hands right around flat so
they can reach even up between their shoulder blades. Most men can't seem to
reach that spot.

Yes! Like under the swimsuit straps or just under my arms below the
armpit or on my trapeziums. I always miss something, then fall asleep,
then it's red and painful.

Hey how do you think we get the bra off without taking off our top?
It's magic! :-)

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:17 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 23:02:26 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:14:27 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

The very best way, however, when cruising is to just say no to clothes. If
you don't wear them then they don't get soiled. But, you still have to wash
sheets, towels, etc.

Well, minimal clothes... lol

It might be OK for the tropics...

Justin.

Would you be planning on wearing a tux in the tropics? lol

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:24 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:57:52 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Yes, I rescued this feral kitten and now he's all grown up. He's still
very
timid around people and hides when strangers visit but he's a good hunter.
He mostly hunts insects as that is about all that can get aboard. There
was
a mangrove snake he cornered one time in the lazarette just forward of the
outboard motor, though. I had to grab it and toss it overboard but it swam
to the dinghy and crawled up along the transom and got in so I rowed it
over
to the shore and put it off so it wouldn't keep coming back.

Is that kind of snake poisonous? Yikes!

No, they aren't poisonous but they do bite and they have sharp teeth. You
have to grab them right behind their head.

I think I'll pass on that. Snakes bother me. You would probably find
me trying to climb up the mast if I saw one on your boat!

My brother had a dog that went after two killer bees that got into the
house. They chased my bro into the bathroom and he said he could hear
them bumping against the door, which attracted the dog. Munch, munch,
no more bees!

I'm surprised they didn't sting the dog's mouth.

I think they did and he didn't care. I much prefer cats. They leave
people to their own devices. Dogs just have to get involved.

snip

Yeah, I agree! The builders around here really took it hard when the
economy went into the toilet. I know a bunch of them through work.
They were scrambling for a while - still are I guess, and those guys
actually made things.

Yes, while the government grows bureaucrat jobs the private sector takes it
in the shorts. All the more reason to read "Atlas Shrugged" to see where
this all leads.

That's what we have here. There's no real job freeze going on at the
city level. Something breaks... just replace it. I can see if it's a
safety thing, but one of the cars is a little old? So what. It still
runs. They just don't seem to have any fiscal responsibility.

I don't much like our new gov. Brown... too lame-brain liberal, but
he's talking some decent stuff about cutting some of these nonsense
programs. I would have preferred Meg... tough as nails, but she got
sandbagged by the volume of disinformation about the nanny. We'll see
with Brown.

Hate to say it but Brown's a liberal moron. And those who voted for him are
liberal moron drones. Ryan was the far superior choice, IMO. Instead the
land of fruits and nuts re-elects a has-been liberal failure. Well, that's
the very definition of idiocy. Doing the same thing over and over again and
expecting different results.

Certainly true about Meg. (Nobody calls her Ryan.) Fortunately (or
unfortunately) Cali governors have very little actual power. I am not
thrilled about Brown. He seems to be saying the right things, e.g.,
reducing union involvement, etc., but you can never know with someone
of his political ideology.

snipped to end

Not painful I hope! :-)

Ouch! It hurts NOW, just thinking about it. You're BAD!

A little bit of pain can go a long way! :-D

Wilbur Hubbard

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:37 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:27:48 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:58:42 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

trimmed a lot of stuff

Yes, they need to lose the liberalism which destroys self-esteem.

Sometimes it really makes me sick... I was so glad when the House
moved a bit closer to center and Pelosi got replaced as Speaker. I'm
always torn because I like powerful women, but she was/is so extreme.
You have no idea. SF makes Santa Monica look like a hot bed of
conservatives.

Pelosi is a waste of space. The only thing she's good for is the bo-tox
industry.

Whew... sometimes when she smiled, I thought something might crack.

I think you'd like 'Atlas Shrugged.' Do you have a Kindle? I bet you could
get it cheap at the Kindle store. I got 'The Fountainhead' for my Kindle.
The best thing about it is the philosophy of the author and how she weaves
it throughout the story and how her characters act to show how pathetic
those who are liberals are and how human and admirable those who are
objectivists are.

I don't have one. I am supposed to get an iPad for my b-day... my
brother (in Germany) was "arranging" something. I'm going to parents'
next week.

Check into the Kindle at Amazon.com - that is if you are a reader. They are
wonderful. They even come with free 3G connectivity so you can shop the
Kindle store on their dime and order and download kindle books. I'm always
amazed at how convenient it is. Most of the Kindle books even have speech to
text so you can have it read the book to you if want.

I would do this if I could get reimbursed. Maybe there's a rich yacht
captain who has a few extra bucks to spend.... lol

IPads are nice but they use a lot of electricity and aren't the best
platform for reading ebooks. The kindle lasts for weeks because of it's
white screen technology. Also, it's easier to read in full daylight.

All true... however, the good news is that if I buy one with the cash
(that's the present apparently), I can get reimbursed for 1/2 by the
office, because I can run some of the business stuff on it. I don't
really need it, but it's nice for watching movies.

I hope you have a nice visit with your parents. If I don't see any of your
posts here I shall know why.

Thanks! It's only for the day, but I'm really trying to go to the gym
M/W/F and sometimes (like today) I get lazy, then I get motivated and
don't get home until late... and, I have to get up at 5 to get to
work... I'm usually off by 3 or 3:30.

Parents have a great attitude about their kids... you graduate from
HS, you go to college, you don't move back in. It got my brother
(stock broker) to get off his ass and get a job.

While liberals hate the human attributes of the mind and try to destroy
those who love the human attributes of the mind they don't even understand
the depravity of what they do and how they CANNOT exist with men (and
women)
of the mind. Liberals despise and attempt to destroy evolved human
attributes of the mind. That's the sad fact and the pathology.

I just wish they would leave me alone.

LOL! You're just too desirable. You're always going to be pursued in one way
or the other.

From good looking guys, I can handle... from money-grubbing political
hacks, no way.

Well, off to the gym in a little while... just going to scroll through
the rest of the posts then I'm gone.

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:44 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:41:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip
I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

They're called davits. And, they are not really called for on a smaller
sailboat. They are quite heavy and bulky for one (not to mention ugly) and
they cause the stern to squat which isn't a good thing.

Ah.. thanks for the technical name.. I guess it would add a bunch of
weight. The engine on the Cat was basically underneath the stairway.
Dave (owner) said it was pretty much near the keel, but back a little
bit. I didn't notice any leaving back, but I wasn't really looking.

The stainless steel tubing I constructed and installed is lightweight and
strong. It has the added advantage of being quick-pinned to the fastener
points so it can be raised up along the backstay if one so desires. My
little, 50-pound, fiberglass dinghy is easy enough to lift up and lay,
upside-down atop the carrier with gunwale right up against the backstay
where it can be safely lashed down.

Did you do the welding? I've always wanted to take a welding class.
Seems like it would be fun to be able to attach two pieces of metal
whenever you want. I was also interested in the art aspect. I'm
betting I could get one of the commercial welders to give me a lesson,
but I'm always hesitant about work/fun mixes.

The extra sixty pounds or so near the transom has little noticable effect on
the trim of the hull. These fools who advocate putting the dinghy
upside-down on deck don't understand how in-the-way the thing always is.
They just saw photos in magazines or heard tell of stowing the dinghy on
deck and it becomes a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. It's the same thing
with the rows of plastic fuel jugs along the twoXsix along the lifelines.
Monkey-see, monkey-do. Nothing uglifies a cruising boat as ugly blue or red
plastic jerry cans jury-rigged to the lifelines. Makes me want to puke every
time I see it.

Why would you carry fuel on deck? Wouldn't it go in a tank that is
built into the boat (assuming you have an engine like that - like the
Cat). Even the little can that goes to an outboard would need to be
held somehow in case you lean over. You don't want it to go thrashing
around...

Jessica B February 3rd 11 12:46 AM

Cannibal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:43:44 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

I don't think Capt. Wil said that was the only criteria for an oar.

Bingo! But good luck trying to get THAT to sink through his thick skull.

At this stage he's in the defensive mode because he knows he lost when I
quoted Hiscock and you quoted Wikipedia.

We make such an unbeatable team. . .

Hey I'm just telling the truth. If you said something totally inane,
I'd probably politely say you're full of it. :-)