BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cannibal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/122566-cannibal.html)

Bob January 31st 11 08:51 PM

Cannibal

Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post.

Bob

I suspect that you are correct and I was *guilty of jumping to the
conclusion that Willie was talking about ....

Cheers,

Bruce

Hello Bruce... No aplogizes needed I tend to shoot off my mouth after
giving a post only a brife look. I think the last time I did that was
some psot about house bank size and 12 and 110 volt charging systems.
I need to give each post a sincer reading but I am not as patient as
you. so at times i sound like an idiot because i didnt read a post
closley enough but thats okay with me cause most the post here lack
credible content.

bob

Wilbur Hubbard January 31st 11 09:05 PM

Cannibal

"Bob" wrote in message
Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post.

Bob

I suspect that you are correct and I was guilty of jumping to the
conclusion that Willie was talking about ....

Cheers,

Bruce

:: Hello Bruce... No aplogizes needed I tend to shoot off my mouth after
:: giving a post only a brife look. I think the last time I did that was
:: some psot about house bank size and 12 and 110 volt charging systems.
:: I need to give each post a sincer reading but I am not as patient as
:: you. so at times i sound like an idiot because i didnt read a post
:: closley enough but thats okay with me cause most the post here lack
:: credible content.

Could your elevated blood/alcohol level have something to do with it? LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:03 AM

Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:09:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:50:15 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

I love it! So, what are you going to say to your boss then he tries to
write you up for putting the sticker back on? "You'd better talk to YOUR
boss because he told me it was OK." That'll larn him!

It was perfect. I actually just walked in there before I left (leave
at 3pm), and sort of casually said, hey about that sticker thing... I
was talking to Greg and he seemed ok with it, but I can remove it if
you really think it's a problem. So, he says, oh yeah, Greg said
something to me about the (his Mystery Spot) sticker, but didn't say
to take it off. So I guess just don't worry about it. (I don't think
anyone complained. I think he just had a hair up his butt about
something and I happened to be there.)

He's probably one of those control freaks who thought he could browbeat a
"defenseless" woman. LOL!

He can be I guess. Mostly, he's ok. I think he's having marital
problems. He's showed up a couple of mornings looking like he slept in
his clothes.

snip

Ah.. ok. Never heard it called that. No kids and I limit my time with
my nieces. :)

Are your brothers older or younger? Probably older if they have kids
already.

Older. One lives sort of near here.. San Diego.. stock broker. The
oldest is military... currently in Germany just outside of Frankfurt.

snip

But, you can only get away with it once a month provided they have halfway
decent memories. ;-)

That's true, but that "once a month" could be a week! I know some
girls who would remove said pound of flesh if someone looks at them
the wrong way.

Never thought of that. Some PMS does last a week unfortunately. And some
women outright lose their minds. Best to steer clear of them until their
hormones get back to normal.

Ha ha! YES! We lose our minds and men better remember it!! :-)

snip

You should get yourself a nice pair of black, shiney jackboots and a
riding
crop - really intimidate them. LOL!

Heh... Well, I prefer to go down the easy road first. I don't need the
stress. I mean if they want to blow up their house, all their
possessions, kids, wife, car... fine with me, as long as I told em and
wrote it down.

It would just like those Rubes to try to sue you if you FAILED to write it
down. I can see it now . . . "Your honor, my house passed inspection with
flying colors so it's HER (points at little ole you) fault it caught on fire
and burned up. It was HER job to find anything wrong."

Exactly. If I don't write it down, they would blame me and I'd get
fired. If I do write it down, they blame me and try to get me fired. I
prefer the latter to the former!

snip

Well, heck! Even I can lift 35 lbs! Snub? Ok... like shorten it, so
you're pulling until you're right over it. Got it. The guy with the
Catalina had this monster-looking anchor, but we didn't use it.

You'd better be able to lift 35 pounds or you're awful puny. LOL! Yup, you
got snub right. A boat that displaces, say four tons of water can lift that
much wheight when a sizable wave rolls under it. If the anchor rode is
vertical the anchor doesn't stand a chance of staying stuck in the bottom.

When I work out, I put two 5lbs on the bench press bar, which weighs
45lbs, and I can press it 10 times for 2 sets before I have to stop.
Not bad I think!

Ok. That makes sense. You can actually use the wave action of the boat
to get it out of the mud. Then it's just a straight lift.. 35lbs plus
whatever the chain weighs, and I guess you can rest by wrapping it
around something if you had to.

Yes... I think he had all of it chain or well all I could see. It went
into a hatch, so I don't know. There was definitely chain though.

Some sailors are too stupid to realize that an all-chain rode is
dysfunctional because it's prohibitively heavy and the weight of it is
usually all right at the bow of the boat which causes the boat to hobby
horse it's way through the seas. A combination of chain and nylon
three-strand line is the better arrangement for smaller sailboats. Again,
it's a case of pretend sailors not really knowing what they're doing. They
see big ships and huge ship's anchors and all-chain rodes and they think if
it's good for big ships it must be good for small ships. Nothing could be
further from the truth.

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:09 AM

Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:14:27 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article , Jessica B wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:48:35 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

I'm guessing that on a two or three year cruise it might be nice to
processionally have clean clothes.

But that's just me. YMMV?

Doesn't the boat ever stop somewhere? Seems like all you have to do is
pull in somewhere and deal with it.

What happens in the middle of the ocean? You're going to do laundry in
your bring-along system? Seems at odds with sailing some how.

I've heard of two suggestions... actually, three.

1. A big bucket into which you put water, detergent and the offending
items (they're likely to be offending the nose of others after a while,
I'm sure). You then 'tread' them for a while, like the French used to
with grapes.

A seamanlike arrangement.

Also when camping. Put the clothes in a 5 gal bucket, add water, some
detergent, and stomp for a while. Works fine. It's not like I'd be
bringing chiffon dress or something (well maybe for a shore
excursion).

2. All that needs washing ends up in the shower stall. Whoever takes a
shower 'treads' the clothes as they do so. I am not certain of the
efficacy of this method.

Shower stall? C'mon. Real sailboats don't waste space and water with a
shower stall. That's way too lubberly to even consider.

Can't you just use one of those solar showers? I think they make 5 gal
sizes, and that's plenty of water, even for a shampoo. Well, I guess
the salt water wouldn't be good for my hair... it would turn it dull
and I wouldn't want that.

3. Small mesh netting (small enough that your smalls don't go through
the holes) from which you make a bag, into which you put your laundry.
The neting bag is then towed behind the boat for a while.

That should work and I've heard of that method, too.

That sounds good, but wouldn't it be better to do the stomp method,
then use that to rinse? It seems like the clothes could use a quick
dip in fresh water to keep them soft.

The very best way, however, when cruising is to just say no to clothes. If
you don't wear them then they don't get soiled. But, you still have to wash
sheets, towels, etc.

Well, minimal clothes... lol

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:17 AM

Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:45:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:12:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
snip

This from a bloke that brags a photo of himself sitting in a tiny boat
petting a pussy?

A kitty cat is a proper addition to a sailing yacht as they will eliminate
any mouse or rat that might come aboard from who knows where.

Do you have a kitty?! I love cats, but don't have any pets right now.

Yes, I rescued this feral kitten and now he's all grown up. He's still very
timid around people and hides when strangers visit but he's a good hunter.
He mostly hunts insects as that is about all that can get aboard. There was
a mangrove snake he cornered one time in the lazarette just forward of the
outboard motor, though. I had to grab it and toss it overboard but it swam
to the dinghy and crawled up along the transom and got in so I rowed it over
to the shore and put it off so it wouldn't keep coming back.

Is that kind of snake poisonous? Yikes!

My brother had a dog that went after two killer bees that got into the
house. They chased my bro into the bathroom and he said he could hear
them bumping against the door, which attracted the dog. Munch, munch,
no more bees!

I think if you left off the word conservative, you would have said it
all. :) Seriously though... I just don't get this liberal nonsense,
especially what goes on in a place like this. How about some reasoned
approach to finance?? Hello?

Well, aren't you sweet! But, you are right; one of these days people are
going to have to WAKE UP and realize that money doesn't grow on trees.
People who don't produce a damned thing are going to have to realize that
they aren't worth a dime as far as payment for not producing a thing goes.
This country is going to hell in a handbasket. Every high school student
should have to read (and understand) Ayn Rand's, "Atlas Shrugged," before
they are given a diploma. You seem so very sensible. If you haven't read
"Atlas Shrugged" please do so as you are very much in the mold of Dagny
Taggart.

Yeah, I agree! The builders around here really took it hard when the
economy went into the toilet. I know a bunch of them through work.
They were scrambling for a while - still are I guess, and those guys
actually made things.

I don't much like our new gov. Brown... too lame-brain liberal, but
he's talking some decent stuff about cutting some of these nonsense
programs. I would have preferred Meg... tough as nails, but she got
sandbagged by the volume of disinformation about the nanny. We'll see
with Brown.

snipped to end

Not painful I hope! :-)

Wilbur Hubbard

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:21 AM

Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:56:40 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:52:09 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
snip

Why does a couple of feet of oar sticking out of the boat matter?

Spoken like a clueless dolt! An oar or oars sticking out of a dinghy can
catch under the dinghy dock on a rising tide and capsize the boat. Duh!
Just
one of the many hazards that are eliminated with oars that fit inside the
length of the dinghy.

Perhaps some of you pretend sailors need to sail once in a while to learn
how things really go down?

Wilbur Hubbard

Or, even just scratch the sides... You could put fenders to protect
the boat from the dinghy, but they wouldn't protect it from the oars.
They might even get broken off.

Broken off or lost overboard. Bruce is very naive. It makes me wonder if
perhaps he didn't arrive in Thailand as deck cargo aboard a freighter.

Ok... that's funny... deck cargo! Sorry Bruce, but it is funny.

Oh, one other thing. You sure have a good head on your shoulders. . .

I'm just try to be sensible. I deal with the real world every day...
people spending real money on real things to get real benefit. The
only depressing thing I see fairly regularly is when I visit a
residence and see that they used inferior material or hired a lousy
contractor. We know who the good ones and bad ones are, but we're not
really supposed to say.

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:24 AM

Cannibal

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:51:21 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Twart? Isn't that across something?

Don't people put their whole dinghy on
their boats?

Yeah, but they're heavy (or can be) and damn difficult to handle -
there's not a lot of room on most boats what with masts, shrouds, and
spinnaker poles. If you're only going a few miles, and the conditions
are OK then it's just easier to tow. I would never tow one far, there's
drag, wear and tear on both your boat and dink... I've heard of some
people towing to arrive at their destination and look to the dink and
find it not there!

Justin.

I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:24 AM

Cannibal

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:33:01 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

Hi Bob... well, I don't know...

Halvorson design: Freya 39

Must be your boat! lol

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:40 AM

Cannibal

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:44:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:28:18 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message

snip

Whoa... you're a captain? That's so cool! That says a lot about you...
you have to pass all sorts of background checks if it's anything like
getting even a local government job like mine.

Thanks, I have an excellent security background having had a Top Secret
clearance for security work as a military policeman in the U.S. Army This
is why I am highly insulted being subjected to a government bureaucrat,
dog
and pony, jump-through-the-hoops show. This is why I just said, NO! I've
never been arrested for anything. Never even had a speeding ticket. I can
even produce a valid birth certificate. Few, if any of the people who
would
have me jump through hoops can claim the same. And, this in the name of
anti-terrorism, which is as much as accusing ME of being a terrorist
threat,
while the government ignores actual terrorists and cries and agitates for
releasing them from Guantanamo Bay. Ludicrous!

Yes, and don't listen to Bruce, stuck at the Bangkok dock. He's just
envious
of my greater qualifications. I qualified for and was duly issued a USCG,
Master of Steam or Motor Vessels of not more than 25 gross tons upon near
coastal waters; also operator of uninspected passenger vessels as defined
in
46 U.S.C. 2101 (42) upon near coastal waters not to exceed 100 miles
offshore, which is way more than Brucie-Poo ever accomplished. Don't be
fooled by those envious people like Joe who claim that near coastal is
less
than open ocean for everybody knows near coastal is where the hazardous
sailing takes place. Open ocean is a joke and the realm of autopilots.

That's where the rocks are... So, if you stay away from the rocks,
then you have one less thing to worry about I guess. Every story my
friend tells of mishap is in and around the marina or surrounding
area.

Yes, they say it's usually not the water that puts a boat in jeopardy but
rather the hard stuff around the edges. LOL! Any old fool can pilot a boat
in the open ocean. Heck, there's nothing out there to hit. Many big ships
put the damned things of autopilot and nobody is even keeping a lookout when
on the open ocean and this is the so-called shipping lanes where there IS
some little traffic, at least. Goes to show you have to try pretty hard to
have a collision out there. So, when some pretend sailor makes light of a
near coastal license it just demonstrates a lack of understanding of where
the real challenges are and where it takes real knowledge to cope.

I don't get what's going on with the government... all this money
coming in, and the whole infrastructure seems to be falling apart. I
don't mind a few rules, but come on. Especially when it comes to
paperwork. You've already been through the checks, you've already
passed your exam (or whatever), so give the individual a break
already.

Job security for govt. pencil pushers! (no offense, not meaning you
because
you actually get out of the office and do productive work).

Thanks! I have to write up stuff, but it's from actionable items...
red-flags, resolutions, follow-up recommendations. I'm sick of all the
money that seems to be frittered away on endlessly studying the mating
habits of magpies or whatever.

Has anybody ever offered you a bribe to look the other way on something?

I've been offered a bribe just once. He was actually a nice guy, and I
said I really couldn't accept it because it would put my job and his
life in jeopardy. The situation was that some moron installed a
furnace so poorly in his house that the burners weren't getting enough
air (it's almost always a ducting issue), which meant they were
sucking air from the house and the gas wasn't being burned
efficiently... a good way to get asphyxiated. In addition to
red-flagging it, I had to turn off the gas to it. So, he was trying to
get me to leave it on. No go on that, but I showed him how to turn the
gas to it back on sort of in a sly way.

I said, "Hey, here's what I have to do. This shuts off the gas. (I
shut it off.) It's just a hand valve that's 90 to the pipe when it's
off. You'll notice that when I turn it on (I turn it on) by putting it
in line with the pipe, the pilot lights automatically after a few
seconds after the thermostat kicks in. I don't recommend you turn it
on. It's dangerous. I strongly recommend you leave a window open
unless you want to wake up dead." I mentioned a couple of reputable
companies, then, I left. :-)

I did get asked out a few times, but only accepted one time. He was
nice, but it just didn't work out.

Jessica B February 1st 11 12:41 AM

Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:23:19 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:23:02 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:05:11 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:30:04 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

Why do they charge $100 for that
card ..TIWC? Seems like it's kind of over the top. What does it get
you?

It gets you a fancy ID card that has all of your biometric data,
including fingerprints, encoded on to an internal chip. All people
involved in public transportation are now required to have one.

Sounds like it gets the government a whole lot more than they need for
people who take a few people sailing. I guess I could see it for a
tanker or a ferry or something. I really wouldn't want all that info
on a chip.

Typical government stuff, one size fits all. We had a joke in the
army that you could have any color shirt you wanted as long as it was
green. That joke obviously predates today's fancy desert camouflage
outfits. The idea with the TWIC card is to ensure that all people
with access to port infrastructure areas, docks, builldings, etc.,
have proper security credentials.

It's entirely possible that our friend in question has some sort of,
uhhh, "issue" in his past that would preclude security authorization.

Or, more likely, he's just as tired of needless paperwork as I am.