Default Propeller anti-fouling?

Has anyone tried any of the anti-fouling schemes intended for
propellers, and if so what was your experience?

The question comes about because I just had to dive on my prop and
clean it. When I got down there I discovered a mass of "clams" as big
as a bushel basket. Took two days to scrape them all off.

True, for one reason or another, the boat hasn't moved in the better
part of a year but still I don't believe I have ever seen as much
growth. Must be either global warming or high CO2 content :-)

In any event, it does make one think "there must be a better way".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:38:26 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

Has anyone tried any of the anti-fouling schemes intended for
propellers, and if so what was your experience?

The question comes about because I just had to dive on my prop and
clean it. When I got down there I discovered a mass of "clams" as big
as a bushel basket. Took two days to scrape them all off.

True, for one reason or another, the boat hasn't moved in the better
part of a year but still I don't believe I have ever seen as much
growth. Must be either global warming or high CO2 content :-)

In any event, it does make one think "there must be a better way".

Haven't tried it because I don't have a boat.
But you made me think that if you knew your boat would be idle a long
time, wrapping the prop it in a old piece of poly tarp might work.
Maybe even a thick black garbage bag.
Should be easier to put that on and crack/cut it away than spend 2
days scraping.
Barnacles need some light to grow, right?
We sometimes want a patch of lawn for garden and the easiest way
to kill the grass is to lay something on it that blocks the light.

--Vic
mmc mmc is offline

news
wrote:

[...]

You're right, that does work Vic. The owner just has to remember to take it
off before getting underway!
Hope you're well and staying warm.

mmc mmc is offline

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message

Has anyone tried any of the anti-fouling schemes intended for
propellers, and if so what was your experience?

The question comes about because I just had to dive on my prop and
clean it. When I got down there I discovered a mass of "clams" as big
as a bushel basket. Took two days to scrape them all off.

True, for one reason or another, the boat hasn't moved in the better
part of a year but still I don't believe I have ever seen as much
growth. Must be either global warming or high CO2 content :-)

In any event, it does make one think "there must be a better way".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Any paints I've tried get burned off. A friend has gotten his prop plated
with copper and swears by it.

mmc mmc is offline

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message

Has anyone tried any of the anti-fouling schemes intended for
propellers, and if so what was your experience?

The question comes about because I just had to dive on my prop and
clean it. When I got down there I discovered a mass of "clams" as big
as a bushel basket. Took two days to scrape them all off.

True, for one reason or another, the boat hasn't moved in the better
part of a year but still I don't believe I have ever seen as much
growth. Must be either global warming or high CO2 content :-)

In any event, it does make one think "there must be a better way".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I'd go with Vic's suggestion for extended periods or areas with warm water
like Thailand ;-)
Might hang a tag on the engine intake seacock to remind you to remove the
covering before getting, or attemping to get, underway.

Is it possible that there is too much electrolisis loss? And these barnicals
are attracted to that? Using anodes or disconnecting battery or another form
of cathodic protection. Have a look at some other boats in the slips to see
if theirs has the same problems. If they don't then you may have a
electrolisis issue as the prop is the most obvious spot of focus for this as
it is the thinest/best part under the water for transfer of electrons.

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

news
wrote:

[...]

..

Has anyone tried any of the anti-fouling schemes intended for
propellers, and if so what was your experience?

The question comes about because I just had to dive on my prop and
clean it. When I got down there I discovered a mass of "clams" as big
as a bushel basket. Took two days to scrape them all off.

True, for one reason or another, the boat hasn't moved in the better
part of a year but still I don't believe I have ever seen as much
growth. Must be either global warming or high CO2 content :-)

In any event, it does make one think "there must be a better way".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Ordinary ablative antifouling might be better than nothing if you hardly use
the boat but it washes off in no time at all if you run the engine. I use
some expensive stuff in a spray can that Volvo produce for their underwater
units. This seems basically to be the same sort of antifouling but harder,
so it does not wash off so quickly. Also it makes a somewhat slick surface
so that barnacles find it harder to stay on while the prop is running.
I have a theory, not yet put to the test, that the very slick paint that has
been produced to make a wall graffiti-proof would be the way to go because
barnacles could not stick to it at all once the prop started to rotate.. The
reason I have not yet tested this idea is because the smallest quantity that
I have found for sale is about 10 gallons.

Check the ingredients of that antifoul paint. If its ingredients include
somethings like zinc or cadnium or nickle or magnesium or something with a
negative potential, then they are simply trying to solve their anodic
galvanic reaction which might be attracting the animals. Easier to solve
with a rectifiar or battery issues.

"Edgar" wrote in message

[...]

I have tried everything and finally decided to use a plastic
"Perfectpitch" prop. They provide a special puller so you can easily
take the prop off to clean it.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, putting a black garbage bag over the prop does cut down on growth
drastically... however.

As it was really happenstance that the boat wasn't taken out so no
plans had been made for storing the boat and secondly, most people
start the engine every week or so even if the boat is not being used.
Inadvertently most of those who have taken the precaution to bag the
prop seem to test the transmission when running the engine which sort
of negates the whole project. (the bag rips).

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Anti fouling paint Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Cruising 40 January 17th 15 11:34 AM
anti-fouling paste [email protected] General 3 October 20th 08 02:09 PM
Aluminum bottom anti fouling Boden Boat Building 11 June 8th 08 04:37 PM
Anti-Fouling Hanz Cruising 13 May 7th 07 01:19 PM
Anti-fouling Geoffrey Freer General 5 August 20th 03 11:14 PM