posted to rec.boats.building

Default Aluminum bottom anti fouling

I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock to
my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh water is
flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up on the
bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden
posted to rec.boats.building

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

Could you use a piece of coarse rope and run it from front to back ? No
idea if it would work .

Boden wrote:
I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock to
my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh water is
flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up on the
bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

Maybe some teflon (tm) powder added to some enamel paint???? A
$40 experiment...

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers inc

On Jun 5, 9:16 pm, Boden wrote:
I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock to
my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh water is
flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up on the
bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

EPaint is a bottom paint that is made with a Biocide instead of metal
so it is compatible with aluminum. I have a bunch of it that I bought
for my boat and I have a surplus of it that I sell for $75 a gallon.
The regular price on this stuff is $200 a gallon. But I live in South
Texas and it is pick up only as the Post Office wont handle it.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 08:19:46 -0400, Paul Oman
wrote:

Boden wrote:
I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock to
my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh water is
flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up on the
bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

Maybe some teflon (tm) powder added to some enamel paint???? A
$40 experiment...

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers inc

Paul's outfit also sells coated copper powder at $15/ lb.
He may not have mentioned it from fears of electrolytic corrosion.
It's fair to say however, that copper is THE marine growth inihibitor
- maybe it's outlawed because it can be toxic to useful marine life
too???

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building
den den is offline

I am assuming you cannot flip the dink on the halftide dock. Right?

Den 48YF
http://www.densnet.com

Paul Oman wrote:
Boden wrote:

I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock
to my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh
water is flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up
on the bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

Maybe some teflon (tm) powder added to some enamel paint???? A $40
experiment...

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers inc

What about a barrier layer of 2 or 3 coats of epoxy paint and a final
coating of an admixture of a paint (epoxy?) and copper powder as
suggested by Brian?

Boden

wrote:

Boden wrote:
[...]

Copper is a no no on an aluminum bottom. Electrolosys will eat the
bottom away. I tried some on an aluminum lower unit of an outboard
once and it almost destroyed the outboard.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 06:04:46 -0700 (PDT), "jim.isbell"
wrote:

Paul's outfit also sells coated copper powder at $15/ lb.
He may not have mentioned it from fears of electrolytic corrosion.
It's fair to say however, that copper is THE marine growth inihibitor
- maybe it's outlawed because it can be toxic to useful marine life
too???

Brian W

Copper is a no no on an aluminum bottom. Electrolosys will eat the
bottom away. I tried some on an aluminum lower unit of an outboard
once and it almost destroyed the outboard.

Yep, I can see that. Paul's stuff is apparently coated, so to get the
marine growth inhibitor action, you have to scuff the surface, so it
is just possible it might work out....

Brian W

Anti fouling paint Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Cruising 40 January 17th 15 11:34 AM
Anti-Fouling Hanz Cruising 13 May 7th 07 01:19 PM
anti-fouling paint on aluminum bottoms R.W. Behan Cruising 3 November 29th 04 07:46 PM
Prop anti-fouling service Parallax Cruising 7 July 23rd 04 02:07 PM
Anti-fouling Geoffrey Freer General 5 August 20th 03 11:14 PM