posted to rec.boats.building

Default Aluminum bottom anti fouling

If you use copper on an aluminum boat, you can run your radio and
other things off the electricity it produces while it is eating your
boat away. Because you just made a battery!

Boden wrote:
I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock to
my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh water is
flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up on the
bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

On Jun 5, 7:16 pm, Boden wrote:
I have a small aluminum boat that I use to get from my half tide dock to
my mooring. When the summer rains are heavy and a lot of fresh water is
flowing into the harbor (north Atlantic) the slime build up on the
bottom can reach 1-1/2 inches thick.

I'm looking for an anti fouling paint that can be applied to the
aluminum boat that doesn't cost more than the boat. By the time I buy
Interlux' or Pettit's Cleaner, Primer and Paint I'll spend at least 2x
what the boat cost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boden

Pull it out of the water onto the dock.
Hoist it out of the water on davits.
Pull it out of the water and turn it over and scrub it off every two
weeks.
Wax the bottom. (But you can't paint it after)
Use a rattle can and spray paint it with aluminum primer and then a
cheap shiny aluminum paint so the crud can't get a grip.
Just thinking out loud.

Anti fouling paint Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Cruising 40 January 17th 15 11:34 AM
Anti-Fouling Hanz Cruising 13 May 7th 07 01:19 PM
anti-fouling paint on aluminum bottoms R.W. Behan Cruising 3 November 29th 04 07:46 PM
Prop anti-fouling service Parallax Cruising 7 July 23rd 04 02:07 PM
Anti-fouling Geoffrey Freer General 5 August 20th 03 11:14 PM