R.W. Behan

Default anti-fouling paint on aluminum bottoms

Applying anti fouling paint to aluminum bottoms is tedious at best. All sorts of cleaners, etchers, primers, etc. Has anyone tried painting on a couple coats of a good exterior latex over the aluminum, to provide an electrolytic insulator, and slapping on the antifouling over that? Seems like it should work.

Dick B.
Paul Oman

"R.W. Behan" wrote:

Applying anti fouling paint to aluminum bottoms is
tedious at best. All sorts of cleaners, etchers,
primers, etc. Has anyone tried painting on a couple
coats of a good exterior latex over the aluminum, to
provide an electrolytic insulator, and slapping on the
antifouling over that? Seems like it should work. Dick
B.

Latex will not handle constant submersion, but how about a
single barrier coat of epoxy paint, then bottom paint over
it. I don't know but I do work in the epoxy business.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

PAUL OMAN Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Dr
Pittsfield NH 03263
10-4 Monday-Thur EST 603-435-7199
VISA/MC/Discover/Paypal

http://www.epoxyproducts.com
sign-up for free email newsletter!

Matt Lang

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message ...
Applying anti fouling paint to aluminum bottoms is tedious at best. All
sorts of cleaners, etchers, primers, etc. Has anyone tried painting on
a couple coats of a good exterior latex over the aluminum, to provide an
electrolytic insulator, and slapping on the antifouling over that?
Seems like it should work.

Dick B.
--

why not just use zincs or electronic cathoidic protection?

Matt