Geoffrey Freer

Default Anti-fouling

BlankBeing new to sailing I hope this question is not too naive..but does
one have to get an expert to anti-foul a boat.If it can be a do it yourself
operation are there any obviously pitfalls for new players?? Any advice
will be appreciated. Geoff

Terry Spragg

Geoffrey Freer wrote:

BlankBeing new to sailing I hope this question is not too naive..but does
one have to get an expert to anti-foul a boat.If it can be a do it yourself
operation are there any obviously pitfalls for new players?? Any advice
will be appreciated. Geoff

Naw, it's just paint, though you don't want to breath too much of
it, it is poison, like some other paint, but worse. Safety
goggles and a charcoal filter mask is the best, but you probably
won't drop dead if you don't use one. Well, not this week,
anyway.

Read the label.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Gregory Coats

I have painted many bottoms, it is not brain surgery. One trick I learned
years ago is to put two coats on the bottom, the first coat one color, then
the other coat a different color. That way when the diver who cleans the
bottom of the boat says he is seeing the first color through the outside
color, it is time to pull the boat and paint it again, usually 4-5 years in
So. Ca. Any other questions, go ahead and email me direct. Also, red is
better than any other color, it has more of the good stuff in it.
"Geoffrey Freer" wrote in message
BlankBeing new to sailing I hope this question is not too naive..but does
one have to get an expert to anti-foul a boat.If it can be a do it

yourself
operation are there any obviously pitfalls for new players?? Any advice
will be appreciated. Geoff

Ferg

Renting a pressure sprayer from a local tool shop will save you lots of
time, sweat, and some skin off your knuckles.

Alot of shipyards will go over the bottom with a pressure sprayer when they
lift the boat out, before they set up the jackstands. It's best to get the
barnicles off before they dry.

Ferguson

"Geoffrey Freer" wrote in message
BlankBeing new to sailing I hope this question is not too naive..but does
one have to get an expert to anti-foul a boat.If it can be a do it

yourself
operation are there any obviously pitfalls for new players?? Any advice
will be appreciated. Geoff

Vito

Geoffrey Freer wrote:

Being new to sailing I hope this question is not too naive....

Being naive is paying $200 labor, like I just did. Having spent many
not-so-happy hours scraping and sanding all the layers that'd
accumulated, the previous owner had applied ablative paint, which
apparently goes away on its own every couple years, and was now due
again, so I signed up for a repaint. When I stopped by a few days later
it was finished but the paint *rollers, etc.* hadn't been picked up yet.
The paint's expensive but looks like the work is *almost* as hard as
painting a bedroom. Next time .....

Synergy

Be sure that you know where you will do the work before buying any supplies.
Many yards will require that you buy the supplies from them. My first year,
I wasted a lot of time shopping for the best price, only to be forced to
return the items later.

Prop fouling Parallax Cruising 1 October 13th 03 10:32 PM
Smiths paddlewheel fouling gp Cruising 3 August 22nd 03 07:41 AM