posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Aluminum bottom anti fouling

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 06:04:46 -0700 (PDT), "jim.isbell"
wrote:

Paul's outfit also sells coated copper powder at $15/ lb.
He may not have mentioned it from fears of electrolytic corrosion.
It's fair to say however, that copper is THE marine growth inihibitor
- maybe it's outlawed because it can be toxic to useful marine life
too???

Brian W

Copper is a no no on an aluminum bottom. Electrolosys will eat the
bottom away. I tried some on an aluminum lower unit of an outboard
once and it almost destroyed the outboard.

Yep, I can see that. Paul's stuff is apparently coated, so to get the
marine growth inhibitor action, you have to scuff the surface, so it
is just possible it might work out....

Brian W