Default anti-fouling paste

In my MiniCup Fixing thread I mentioned an anti-fouling paste
experiment I did. A long time ago, for some reason I was too cheap,
maybe too poor to have my old 23' sailboat hauled to re-paint the
bottom of her keel which had the bottom paint rubbed off because I
always try to go places she should not go and consequently rub the
paint off. Figuring there were other poor or cheap people who wanted
a way to apply anti-foulant to limited areas under water, I decided to
make an antifouling paste that would go on while the boat is in the
water.
So, mixed up a mess of a commercially available waxy material (the
consistency of thick grease) that is designed to be used on underwater
leaks with Bronze powder and dang if it didnt work. Unfortunately, it
turns out that few people are as cheap as I am and I found no buyers
for it.
MMC MMC is offline

wrote in message
[...]

How long did it last? stick to the hull I mean.

On Oct 17, 7:20 pm, "mmc" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

It lasted at least a year because I put it on fairly thick. When I
finally had her hauled, it had a hard crust with softer material
inside. After a year (in warm seriously fouling Florida water) some
places had a few tube worms but nothing like the rest of the keel with
oyster shells. I also remember that one reason for not pursuing it
was finding a similar product selling in Britain.
My mixture was "Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, Very soft refined
optical pitch and a lot of Bronze powder. My idea was that the pitch
would lose its volatile materials to form a hard coating that would
slough off revealing more material.
MMC MMC is offline

wrote in message
On Oct 17, 7:20 pm, "mmc" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I like the idea. I haven't had a sailboat yet that has been able to keep
bottom paint on the bottom of the keel either. Plus, it seems that the paint
where the stand pads were always wears off first. Usually in a hurry by that
point in a haulout.

Anti fouling paint Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Cruising 40 January 17th 15 11:34 AM
Aluminum bottom anti fouling Boden Boat Building 11 June 8th 08 04:37 PM
Anti-Fouling Hanz Cruising 13 May 7th 07 01:19 PM
Prop anti-fouling service Parallax Cruising 7 July 23rd 04 02:07 PM
Anti-fouling Geoffrey Freer General 5 August 20th 03 11:14 PM