Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Propeller anti-fouling?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:38:26 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

Has anyone tried any of the anti-fouling schemes intended for
propellers, and if so what was your experience?

The question comes about because I just had to dive on my prop and
clean it. When I got down there I discovered a mass of "clams" as big
as a bushel basket. Took two days to scrape them all off.

True, for one reason or another, the boat hasn't moved in the better
part of a year but still I don't believe I have ever seen as much
growth. Must be either global warming or high CO2 content :-)

In any event, it does make one think "there must be a better way".

Haven't tried it because I don't have a boat.
But you made me think that if you knew your boat would be idle a long
time, wrapping the prop it in a old piece of poly tarp might work.
Maybe even a thick black garbage bag.
Should be easier to put that on and crack/cut it away than spend 2
days scraping.
Barnacles need some light to grow, right?
We sometimes want a patch of lawn for garden and the easiest way
to kill the grass is to lay something on it that blocks the light.

--Vic