Default GIANT MONSTER waves

In article
,
Joe wrote:

Hey Bruce,

My brother spent alot of time out of Dutch harbor on the Sherman
WHEC-720.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKK5gerz9OA they would head that way
every crab season. We are both pretty good at measuring waves.

Lots of hammering ice, and lousy weather..You know there are better
places to sail right?

We all know the only wave Nilbur ever saw was splashing around in a
crusty cedar bucket. Do you have any video of a boat you were on, or
do you just watch the Deadlest Catch like bOb and pretend ? ;0)

Joe

I am the last of the Alaska Cannery Radiomen... and I have been on my
share of Crabbers, Draggers, and Shrimpers, (Before Video Cameras
existed) during my 40+ years in the Biz. Now I am semi-reTired and have
a nice gig being the Winterman at one of those canneries. I know many of
the skippers, in the fleet, as well as having mutual Friends, and
acquaintances, thru out the fishing community in the North Pacific.
Once had a Ride from SandPoint to Squaw Harbor that took 2 days....
and I did a Shelikof Straight run from Port Bailey to Alitak that took
3 days... It is a bitch when you have to jog between the crests just
to maintain steerage, in 140 ft Steel Crabber, or Coastal Freighter...

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 6, 5:29*pm, Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article
,

*Joe wrote:

Hey Bruce,

*My brother spent alot of time out of Dutch harbor on the Sherman
WHEC-720.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKK5gerz9OAthey would head that way
every crab season. We are both pretty good at measuring waves.

Lots of hammering ice, and lousy weather..You know there are better
places to sail right?

We all know the only wave Nilbur ever saw was splashing around in a
crusty cedar bucket. Do you have any video of a boat you were on, or
do you just watch the Deadlest Catch like bOb and pretend ? ;0)

Joe

I am the last of the Alaska Cannery Radiomen... and I have been on my
share of Crabbers, Draggers, and Shrimpers, (Before Video Cameras
existed) during my 40+ years in the Biz.

Sounds cool.

*Now I am semi-reTired and have
a nice gig being the Winterman at one of those canneries.

Sounds cold

I know many of
the skippers, in the fleet, as well as having mutual Friends, and
acquaintances, thru out the fishing community in the North Pacific.
Once had a Ride from SandPoint to Squaw Harbor that took 2 days....
and I did a Shelikof Straight run from Port Bailey to Alitak that took
3 days...

That north edge of the Shelikof Strait looks like a nice area to sail
coastal, lots to explore. Best I've done in the way of Alaska was to
work on a supply boat named the Point Barrow.

*It is a bitch when you have to jog between the crests just
to maintain steerage, in 140 ft Steel Crabber, or Coastal Freighter...

More fun is to do floaters off the crest with a 120 ft crewboat.

Joe

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply- Hide quoted text -

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:49:10 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

I know it's hard for lubbers like you and your puppets to understand,
take a look at this vid, running 30 ft but don't look like it.

You can make anything look like anything if you are a good
photographer. That is why there is money in the business. In the
summer there is a scarcity of waves in the North Atlantic. Biggest
on one crossing were said to be fifteen feet. From the bar, the one
above the wheelhouse, they looked like nothing. There was no roll
whatever, but you could feel the up and down and see the pitching.

Casady
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 4, 10:58*am, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:29:16 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

On Jan 4, 8:55 am, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:49:10 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

On Jan 3, 11:53 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I looked at the other compelling videos JoeS Butcher posted on
youtoub.

The one that really gave me a laugh was the one Joe titled, GIANT
MONSTER WAVES !

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeSButc.../1/EomTf3hczco

Bwahahahahhahahahahh! I thought that one was a riot, too. It's as if he were
being facetious or something but he was dead serious. He clearly has never
experienced a real 25 foot sea on a small sailing yacht. I have, and they
are NOTHING like the 'chop' in that video.

You have not sailed anywhere but a back woods mangrove swamp at best.

Here is 11 ft seas Nellie:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2AGQZtsvM

Wouldn't 11 foot seas be somewhat higher than the cabin top?- Hide quoted text -

Yes,

We had 11 fters for 4-5 days out of the NE. Again it's hard to
determine wave height from video's but thats what they were. They were
spaced a good 100 ft, it's not like they were splashing over the
wheelhouse, more like a slow rise and fall, a nice ride infact.

Joe

Oh... ocean swells. That makes more sense. We get that on calm days
anywhere outside the protection of Long Island Sound.- Hide quoted text -

Not the same.

From Wikipeda: (taken from Boditch most likely)

When directly being generated and affected by the local winds, a wind
wave system is called a wind sea. After the wind ceases to blow, wind
waves are called swell. Or, more generally, a swell consists of wind
generated waves that are not — or hardly — affected by the local wind
at the same moment. They have been generated elsewhere, or some time
ago.[1] Wind waves in the ocean are called ocean surface waves.

****************
Since they were from the NE with onl;y 5-600 miles fetch it precludes
any "ocean swell". If they were swells they would have been Gulf
Swells, but I contend they were "Wind waves"

Joe
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 8, 9:03*am, wrote:

wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

From Wikipeda: (taken from Boditch most likely)

When directly being generated and affected by the local winds, a wind
wave system is called a wind sea. After the wind ceases to blow, wind
waves are called swell. Or, more generally, a swell consists of wind
generated waves that are not or hardly affected by the local wind
at the same moment. They have been generated elsewhere, or some time
ago.[1] Wind waves in the ocean are called ocean surface waves.

****************
Since they were from the NE with onl;y 5-600 miles fetch it precludes
any "ocean swell". If they were swells they would have been Gulf
Swells, but I contend they were *"Wind waves"

Joe

There wasn't enough local wind to make 11 foot waves, Joe.

in this video? Thats what were talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2AGQZtsvM

20-30 kts for 4-5 days is not enough wind to make 11 fter's in 12,000
ft of water?

Wind waves would have been steeper, and closer together, too.

Why?

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message

20-30 kts for 4-5 days is not enough wind to make 11 fter's in 12,000
ft of water?

You're a liar, Joe. That particular cold front had winds in the 20-30 knot
range for ONLY about 18 hours. After that, they veered to the NE and E and
died down quite quickly. Had you not panicked and called for a premature
evacuation you could have broad reached then run home. Like I said, you
should have hove-to and rode out the little cold front instead of stubbornly
trying to stay on schedule by bashing into it. Dummy! You are no sailor -
just another motor head.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 8, 1:09*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

20-30 kts for 4-5 days is not enough wind to make 11 fter's in 12,000
ft of water?

You're a liar, Joe. That particular cold front had winds in the 20-30 knot
range for ONLY about 18 hours. After that, they veered to the NE and E and
died down quite quickly. Had you not panicked and called for a premature
evacuation you could have broad reached then run home. Like I said, you
should have hove-to and rode out the little cold front instead of stubbornly
trying to stay on schedule by bashing into it. Dummy! You are no sailor -
just another motor head.

Wilbur Hubbard

Yooo..douche bag, you're a perv, and can not follow along.

This was serveral days before the bad front. During the later front
hove to would have rolled the boat, just to much current against the
waves..running would have pooped her. No one ever panicked and the
best part was no one was hurt seriously or lost. The boat sunk that
night, with 3 pumps running and a lister generator, that I know would
have kept running for weeks ,or until I made it back out to the area.
Had the boat been floating the next morning than I might have given a
second thought to your stupity.

So you are wrong and I'm right, again.

So say what you want Neal Warren your opinion has been well proved
here to be of no value what-so-ever. Your meek, weak and worthless at
best.

I think I'm going to take a clue from everyone else in the world and
shun you, any glimmer of honor, diginity, and self respect you ever
had left you years ago.

Adios pendejo

Joe

Joe wrote:

[...]

Abandoning ship had to have been a hard call.
I've always thought highly of you for having put the people first.

There can only be one captain on board.
I'd hate to be constantly second guessing whether the skipper had my
best interest at heart.

You have proved where your heart is.

I'd sail with you anytime (if you'd have me).

Respects,

Richard

--

Richard Lamb

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour...
Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

I'd sail with you anytime (if you'd have me).

Death wish?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I'd sail with you anytime (if you'd have me).

Death wish?

Wilbur Hubbard

No.

A chance to sail with an experienced captain - and enjoy some
good coffee at the same time.

A ship in port (like yours) is safe.
But that's not what ships are for...

--

Richard Lamb

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour...
Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

Predicting monster waves Ralph Waldo Emerson ASA 1 May 21st 06 07:47 AM
In 2006, giant freak waves will sink ships !!! Todd Airsushi Cruising 2 December 27th 05 08:15 PM
Oh Great! "Giant Waves" [email protected] Cruising 1 August 6th 05 11:59 PM
Giant wave Gogarty Cruising 14 April 19th 05 06:38 PM
Monster waves Rick ASA 58 December 6th 03 12:20 AM