Rick

Default Monster waves

Monster waves boost for sea perils defence

Research says freak waves more frequent than previously thought, writes
James Brewer December 02 2003 Lloyds List

"SHIPS are far more at peril from monster ocean waves than many experts
have previously realised, according to new research. Growing evidence
that waves of more than 30 m in height can occur randomly ..."

"During a three-week radar satellite study, the German Aerospace Centre
found a total of 10 monster waves around the world, ranging from 26 m to
30 m in height."

"It concluded: 'If the satellite data is right, it looks as if freak
waves occur in the deep ocean far more frequently than the traditional
linear model would predict.'"

Your are perfectly safe, Nil. Since they tend to occur far more
frequently in the deep ocean, odds are overwhelming that you will never
see one.

Rick

The_navigator©

That's interesting beacuse most of the static wave height measurements
suggested a rather low frequency of monster waves. Over what time scale
and area was this measurement?

Cheers MC

Rick wrote:

[...]

Simple Simon

Those monster waves don't cause me any fear or
trepidation. The odds of myself or any boat being
where they are when they are is still relatively
slim. Besides, you seem to forget my fine yacht
has positive flotation. Even if it gets rolled over
a couple times I will be able to bale it out and
get under way again.

S.Simon

"Rick" wrote in message hlink.net...
[...]

Rick

The_navigator© wrote:

That's interesting beacuse most of the static wave height measurements
suggested a rather low frequency of monster waves. Over what time scale
and area was this measurement?

The article stated:

"During a three-week radar satellite study, the German Aerospace Centre
found a total of 10 monster waves around the world, ranging from 26 m
to 30 m in height."

I read that as 10 waves worldwide in a 3 weeks time.

Rick

Bobsprit

a couple times I will be able to bale it out and
get under way again.

S.Simon

After encountering a 30 metre wave?
Now that I'd like to see!

When Neal types such things it only makes it even more clear that he's no
sailor.
Add to that the following: That he chose one of the cheapest boats around and
you get the whole picture. A real sailor would have chosen a Cape Dory 30, any
alberg or Bristol or even an old Pearson Wanderer. All better in every way and
proven designs. Instead he lives on a tiny cramped vessel known to be poor in
nearly every regard anc quite comely as well.

RB

otnmbrd

My last recollection of a reported "monster wave" was the one which hit
the liner Michaelangelo (or it's sister), and stove in a good portion of
the forward side of the house.
From reports, it's not necessarily the size of the wave (30m is not
common but not unheard of in open ocean storms) but the fact that it may
appear during an otherwise calm condition, unexpectedly when the ship is
least apt to be at a speed and/or heading to deal with it.

otn

Jeff Morris

They don't say what spacecraft was used for the observation. To get that
resolution, it had to be in low orbit. I'd guess some type of radar might work,
but the target area would be small, perhaps less than 100 miles. This might
mean that this was 10 monster waves within a 10,000 square miles in 3 weeks,
which seems quite high.

Some clarification is needed. Do we have an original link?

"Rick" wrote in message
hlink.net...
The_navigator© wrote:

That's interesting beacuse most of the static wave height measurements
suggested a rather low frequency of monster waves. Over what time scale
and area was this measurement?

The article stated:

"During a three-week radar satellite study, the German Aerospace Centre
found a total of 10 monster waves around the world, ranging from 26 m
to 30 m in height."

I read that as 10 waves worldwide in a 3 weeks time.

Rick

Bobsprit

nearly every regard anc quite comely as well.

RB

Comely? Didn't you mean homely?

I meant to say "Not comely."

RB
Simple Simon

Do you agree with me that such a monster wave is more
likely to damage a large ship than a cockle shell that
will likely ride up and over with little or no damage?

S.Simon

"otnmbrd" wrote in message hlink.net...
My last recollection of a reported "monster wave" was the one which hit
the liner Michaelangelo (or it's sister), and stove in a good portion of
the forward side of the house.
From reports, it's not necessarily the size of the wave (30m is not
common but not unheard of in open ocean storms) but the fact that it may
appear during an otherwise calm condition, unexpectedly when the ship is
least apt to be at a speed and/or heading to deal with it.

otn

A Deadly Monster Aboard Your Boat Gould 0738 General 16 July 19th 04 09:00 PM
( OT ) Bush waves the bloody shirt 2 Jim General 2 March 11th 04 12:38 PM
"Riding the waves of life" Mike ASA 0 September 17th 03 02:57 PM
"Riding the waves of life" Mike General 0 September 17th 03 02:56 PM
Die Monster Die!!! Bobsprit ASA 71 August 11th 03 11:30 AM