Gogarty

Default Giant wave

Anyone know anything more about the cruise ship struck by a giant wave
the other day? Flooded many cabins and caused some injuries but not much
more info available here.

Glenn Ashmore

The Norwegian Dawn was hit by a rogue wave yesterday morning enroute between
Nassau and NYC. Crossed through a gale that is now NW of Bermuda. Stove in
2 portholes, flooded 62 cabins and slightly injured 4 passengers . They are
in Charleston, SC now making repairs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Gogarty" wrote in message
Anyone know anything more about the cruise ship struck by a giant wave
the other day? Flooded many cabins and caused some injuries but not much
more info available here.

Peter W. Meek

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:04:26 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

The Norwegian Dawn was hit by a rogue wave yesterday morning enroute between
Nassau and NYC. Crossed through a gale that is now NW of Bermuda. Stove in
2 portholes, flooded 62 cabins and slightly injured 4 passengers . They are
in Charleston, SC now making repairs.

Finding news on this is severely hampered by the
existence of a Norwegian band called "Rogue Wave".
Also by Shipping News mis-spelling of rogue as rouge.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

The Norwegian Dawn was hit by a rogue wave yesterday morning enroute between
Nassau and NYC. Crossed through a gale that is now NW of Bermuda. Stove in
2 portholes, flooded 62 cabins and slightly injured 4 passengers . They are
in Charleston, SC now making repairs.

I wouldn't call the windows on that, or any other modern cruise ship,
'portholes.' I am sure that was one of those we saw regularly coming
and going in the Hudson. Many of them look like glass-walled hotels.

I hope the passengers can enjoy having a good story to tell their
grandchildren, but I wouldn't blame them for being really ****ed right
now.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer J36 Gjøa

I wonder if the tourists following the wine-tasting
circuit in 'Sideways' start off by doing the NY Times
crossword in ink as they drive up I-5?
Padeen

****ed at what? God?

This sounds awfully like, "Who do we blame/sue for this?" The tour company?
The weatherman? I can understand their disappointment, but most of those
cruise tickets are sold at "discount" prices, to people looking for a real
deal for their vacation. Don't they assume some responsibility for the
ships being constructed for the majority of expected weather patterns, not
the extremes? If one looks at statistics of how many vacations are altered
by adverse weather conditions, one might better understand the popularity of
trip insurance.

wrote:

[...]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Apr18.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/dbu9y

engsol

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:48:29 -0400, Gogarty wrote:

In article ,
says...

Anyone know anything more about the cruise ship struck by a giant wave
the other day? Flooded many cabins and caused some injuries but not
much more info available here. .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Apr18.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/dbu9y

Jeez! Who wrote that piece of purple prose? Somebody hoping to provide
fodder to lawyers?

I liked the "ill-fated ship" part...and the theme to "Titanic". The reporter must
write for the Nat Enquirer too.
Garuda

My question would be, "where was the vessel?". If a Northeastern is blowing
into the gulf stream then the Captain should have changed course out of the
stream. Somewhat recently, a rather large naval cargo vessel was damaged in a
similar "rouge wave" incident.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
news
In article ,
says...

Anyone know anything more about the cruise ship struck by a giant wave
the other day? Flooded many cabins and caused some injuries but not
much more info available here. .

"As the battered Norwegian Dawn began to steam home to New York in calmer
waters Sunday, the Coast Guard began investigating whether the ship's
captain sent a distress call during the rollicking storm."

Investigate? Well, did he or did he not?

Rollicking?

Freak Wave ruins cruise. Short Wave Sportfishing General 20 April 20th 05 06:04 AM
Can a 45' sailboat survive a 50' wave ? [email protected] Cruising 51 February 13th 05 01:44 PM
Wave heights Roger Long Cruising 61 January 11th 05 05:53 PM
Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 10:18 PM
Long Island Sound wave height question Chris General 7 September 1st 03 03:48 PM