Default Are things getting better here?

On Sep 26, 10:11*pm, Wayne.B wrote:

One of the oldest and most respected clubs on Long Island Sound uses
no mooring balls at all. *

Interesting idea. Something about the "no balls" part gives me pause
though

My mooring isn't in the town where I am harbormaster and they have
written mooring standards so it would be quite a paper chase to do
something different.

The answer, which I fully intend to implement next year, it to only be
on the mooring a few days in the spring while preparing for departure
and a few days on return before hauling.
If something comes up that prevents me from taking a long cruise, I'll
probably find another location.

Roger
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 26, 6:23*am, Roger Long wrote:

I'm surprised

* I have
* I have a
* I failed to properly
* My boat

Im glad to know you have a well develped self concept. your words are
remakably similar to Wilbur's.
Bob

Roger Long wrote:
I'm surprised that none of the anoni-mice have popped up yet to point
out that my 1500-2000 miles of sailing this summer weren't real
cruising because,

* I have a roller furling headsail.
* I have a powerful and reliable diesel instead of a "blue water"
outboard bolted on the transom with a rusty bracket.
* I failed to properly reinforce my boom by inserting a piece of rusty
pipe in it after folding it in half.
* My boat isn't painted yellow for better visibility when semi-
permanently anchored in front of waterfront Florida dives.

Funny!

And to answer your question, no, things haven't really gotten any better
wrt people living to criticize in this newsgroup, but I never thought it
was a problem in the first place. Just everyday Usenet, which isn't at
all like a bunch of people in a big room where one obnoxious person can
ruin the whole party. It's more like a big magical room where you can
just snap your fingers, click your heels, and make the obnoxious person
disappear if you want. You can also make them reappear and poke them
with a stick once in a while for fun, or throw a pie in their face if
you get bored.

Stephen

On Sep 27, 7:12*am, Bob wrote:

Something that prompts me to point out:

Uh, Bob, it's the small end of the binoculars that go next to your
eyes.

Roger

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

On Sep 27, 7:12*am, Bob wrote:

Something that prompts me to point out:

Uh, Bob, it's the small end of the binoculars that go next to your
eyes.

Roger

Notice that when Roger decided to lower himself and return to the
group, he entered with a litany of insults aimed at nothing more than
to renew his participation in exactly the same way he left, and stir
up old and long (pun intended) forgotten garbage.

He must think that when he left, the group went into stunned silence
awaiting his majestic return. Oddly enough, while he was gone, there
were some good, on topic, discussions. Even those who traditionally
have spent all their time needling each other, seemed to be able to
converse in an almost friendly fashion while Roger was gone. I wonder
what conclusion might be drawn from that.

On Sep 27, 1:56*pm, wrote:

Notice that when Roger decided to lower himself and return..

Stephen, pass one of those pies, would you, please.

Roger

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:16:42 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

On Sep 27, 1:56*pm, wrote:

Notice that when Roger decided to lower himself and return..

Stephen, pass one of those pies, would you, please.

Roger

I guess we'll have to wait for Roger's testosterone attack to end, so
he can then attempt to rejoin a group that has somehow managed just
fine without him. Note that he has YET to post a single post without
it being a troll.

He's no better than Wilbur in that regard. Hopefully, he'll wise up
and straighten out.

So far, he's done nothing but try and stir up trouble. The very
trouble that he claimed was driving him out of here. He was supposedly
going to go to some "more adult" forum. I guess he wore out his
welcome there, too. Or maybe they didn't show enough respect for his
all-encompassing mightiness.

Hopefully, with his world record 2000 mile cruise, he at least has
learned how to operate his VHF.

Maybe he could try posting about his adventures, instead of trying to
drag the group down. We were doing pretty well while he was gone.

wrote:

On Sep 27, 1:56 pm, wrote:

[...]

Rogers posts are ALWAYS more interesting and informative than yours are,
Bitty Bill. And, calling somebody else a troll is the height of PKB.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sep 27, 2:38*pm, wrote:

Maybe he could try posting about his adventures, instead of trying to
drag the group down. We were doing pretty well while he was gone.

Because I write for a magazine that prints articles about most of my
long cruises and maintain a web site, primarily for friends and
family, it seems pointless to repeat much about my cruises here. If
you look in the thread "Dilution is the solution to Pollution" thread,
you'll find links to pictures and accounts. There are even exact GPS
tracks imported into Google Earth files. If so inclined, you can zoom
in and hoot, "Look, look, he was much to close to that rock to be
safe." Hey, read the most recent article and you'll really find
something to hoot about.

It's getting to the time of year though when I'm getting an idea which
memories of the summer will bring a smile to my face in the depths of
winter. For me, it never seems to be the things you would expect, the
perfect day, the great long reach, but odd moments. This year, I
think one will be the sight (barely) of Petit Manan light 8 miles off
the STARBOARD beam on the last week in May. You'll have to hunt
around a bit to find many Maine cruisers who have seen that so early
in the year returning from Quoddy Head. Another was broad reaching
between Petit Manan Light and the bell at 6 - 7 knots alone in lumpy
seas and visibility under 50 yards while the wind vane did it's work
and I stood radar watch. Oh yes, I was talking on the VHF with a
power yacht coming the other way.

I just realized that 'tit Manan figures in both of these but it is
sort of the "Cape Horn" of Maine so rounding it or crossing the bar is
always memorable.

he can then attempt to rejoin a group that has somehow managed just fine without him.

"Attempt to rejoin" when anyone can just post here? Please let us
know which planet you are posting from

Roger

Roger Long wrote:

he can then attempt to rejoin a group that has somehow managed just fine without him.

"Attempt to rejoin" when anyone can just post here? Please let us
know which planet you are posting from

Roger

Ignore them, Roger.
They were abused as children...

Things I Don't Like.... Capt. Rob ASA 6 December 6th 05 01:05 AM
40 things Sir Rodney Smithers General 6 November 21st 05 05:55 PM
a few things paddleORdye Whitewater 2 September 7th 05 01:43 PM
Things you just can't do without! [email protected] General 3 July 29th 04 03:14 PM