Default Are things getting better here?

I'm surprised that none of the anoni-mice have popped up yet to point
out that my 1500-2000 miles of sailing this summer weren't real
cruising because,

* I have a roller furling headsail.
* I have a powerful and reliable diesel instead of a "blue water"
outboard bolted on the transom with a rusty bracket.
* I failed to properly reinforce my boom by inserting a piece of rusty
pipe in it after folding it in half.
* My boat isn't painted yellow for better visibility when semi-
permanently anchored in front of waterfront Florida dives.

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 05:23:14 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

I'm surprised that none of the anoni-mice have popped up yet to point
out that my 1500-2000 miles of sailing this summer weren't real
cruising because,

* I have a roller furling headsail.
* I have a powerful and reliable diesel instead of a "blue water"
outboard bolted on the transom with a rusty bracket.
* I failed to properly reinforce my boom by inserting a piece of rusty
pipe in it after folding it in half.
* My boat isn't painted yellow for better visibility when semi-
permanently anchored in front of waterfront Florida dives.

Awfuly insecure, and attention starved, aren't you. Can't you just
enjoy sailing for it's own sake, without worrying about who is really
a sailor by some dubious ad hoc set of standards?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'm surprised that none of the anoni-mice have popped up yet to point
out that my 1500-2000 miles of sailing this summer weren't real
cruising because,

* I have a roller furling headsail.
* I have a powerful and reliable diesel instead of a "blue water"
outboard bolted on the transom with a rusty bracket.
* I failed to properly reinforce my boom by inserting a piece of rusty
pipe in it after folding it in half.
* My boat isn't painted yellow for better visibility when semi-
permanently anchored in front of waterfront Florida dives.

Would suggest you move to the UK where all of these things are totally
acceptable! There might be a problem with diesel at $8/gallon but a man of
your vast wealth would take it in his stride!

Dennis.

NIce to know you're still hanging around here.

Roger

On Sep 26, 9:09*am, wrote:

Awfuly insecure, and attention starved, aren't you. Can't you just
enjoy sailing for it's own sake,

Nice to know you are still haning around he

If you were enjoying sailing, would you be so cranky? I'm smiling ear
to ear even reading drivel like this.

Roger

On Sep 26, 10:38*am, Wayne.B wrote:

We could reenact the recent spirited discussion about what it takes to
do long range cruising.

Or we could talk about slips vs. moorings.

I decided to just use the mooring this summer since I expected to be
away a lot more than I was and was looking forward to having my boat
always hanging off on her pendant instead of worrying about fenders
chafing the topsides.

Wow, was I ever wrong. The tide runs hard through the channel where my
mooring is and it seems like the boat is always pushed hard ahead
against the ball with the wakes sawing it up and down. I had a line
set up at the marina dock such that the fenders hardly ever touched
and the gelcoat has gotten more wear in this one summer than three
seasons at the marina dock.

In addition, the constant wetting of the lower topsides by the
constant wake and chop in my rather exposed mooring location have
resulted in a nearly foot wide band of green growth above the boot
top. I also used to hose the boat down at least once a week and after
hard sails at the marina. The effects of the salt sitting on the boat
at the mooring are quite evident. The boat looks like she's been
ridden hard but I did run 1500 - 2000 miles of water under the keel
this summer.

Hopefully, I'll only be on the mooring for a couple weeks before and
after a summer long cruise next season. If I do end up having to stay
close to home, the price of a marina slip is not going to seem as high
as it did last spring.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
On Sep 26, 10:38 am, Wayne.B wrote:

We could reenact the recent spirited discussion about what it takes to
do long range cruising.

Or we could talk about slips vs. moorings.

I decided to just use the mooring this summer since I expected to be
away a lot more than I was and was looking forward to having my boat
always hanging off on her pendant instead of worrying about fenders
chafing the topsides.

Wow, was I ever wrong. The tide runs hard through the channel where my
mooring is and it seems like the boat is always pushed hard ahead
against the ball with the wakes sawing it up and down. I had a line
set up at the marina dock such that the fenders hardly ever touched
and the gelcoat has gotten more wear in this one summer than three
seasons at the marina dock.

That is an interesting comment about moorings. Why do you let your boat get
pushed up against the ball due to washes?
I was on a mooring when I lived in Uk and always hauled my boat hard up to
the ball so it was lifted just out of the water, hanging there just under
the stem with a rope through the ring and brought back aboard to make fast.
so the rope was pretty tight.
I used to put another (loose) line through as well in case of chafe of the
first one during heavy gales.. Never had any problem. Slept well ashore
regardless of weather.with that setup and the boat always lay head to wind
or tide whichever was the stronger and washes made no difference..
Now I am in Norway and most boats here are in marinas but all the ones I
have seen on moorings are for some reason tied to the buoy with at least 10'
of rope so the boat is forever sailing around its buoy and nobody seems ever
to think about the possibility of chafe setting their boat adrift.
I think that is crazy but despite the huge washes from the uncontrolled
powerboats that abound here I have never seen a boat growing weed above the
waterline as you mention.

On Sep 26, 1:52*pm, "Edgar" wrote:

I was on a mooring when I lived in Uk and always hauled my boat hard up to
the ball so it was lifted just out of the water, hanging there just under
the stem with a rope through the ring and brought back aboard to make fast.

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:05:54 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

My mooring really isn't in an place appropriate for a mooring but it's
off a beach a few minutes walk from my house. In bad weather, I take
the boat to a protected cove and stay on it or move it around into
town. That's what I'll be doing first thing in the morning, probably
in the rain, ugh. It's going to blow 40 knots later straight up the
harbor mouth which doesn't happen too often.

One of the oldest and most respected clubs on Long Island Sound uses
no mooring balls at all. The chain rests completely on the bottom
when not in use and the rope pennants are semi-suspended with a small
floating pick-up whip. They've been doing it that way for many years
and it totally solves the issue with mooring ball chafe on the
topsides. The only downside is that if you lose the pickup stick
someone has to dive down and retrieve the pennants or grapple for
them.

Things I Don't Like.... Capt. Rob ASA 6 December 6th 05 01:05 AM
40 things Sir Rodney Smithers General 6 November 21st 05 05:55 PM
a few things paddleORdye Whitewater 2 September 7th 05 01:43 PM
Things you just can't do without! [email protected] General 3 July 29th 04 03:14 PM