posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa

Default Your Typical Beneteau!

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:55:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Rudder and steering issues are certainly not unique to Beneteaus but
you know that right?

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

Glass, throw, houses, in, people, stones, shouldn't, stones...re-arrange to
suit.
At least they abandoned a damaged boat, unlike the muppets over the pond.

http://www.boatbuilding.net/article..../04/10/1123245

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

It happened to the Bismark too. Was she a Beneteau boat?

Dennis.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

It happened to the Bismark too. Was she a Beneteau boat?

Dennis.

I believe the Bismarck's rudder failure was arranged by the Royal Navy's
Fleet Air Arm and delivered by Fairey Swordfish.
--
Duncan Heenan

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa

In article , Adrian
wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Glass, throw, houses, in, people, stones, shouldn't, stones...re-arrange to
suit.

Which rather dodges the larger question. I have only once been aboard a
vessel that smashed her rudder and then she was small enough that we could
unship the remains* and get enough steering force from a towed bucket.

Now -if- you can break/saw/unbolt the offending article a jury rigged paddle
will probably get you by, together with streaming warps if things get lively,
but I've never really given it a thought as a likely hazard for an
ocean-crossing passage. Not too difficult if it's possible to use a dinghy
as a repair platform but when did trouble ever occur in a calm?

A hacksaw blade on a pole might be enough to cut away damage but only if you
can somehow get it into the right position...

What tricks do you lot have in reserve?

Cheerio,

* For unship read: crowbar out, bending the upper pin.

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:18:49 +0100, Derek Moody
wrote:

Now -if- you can break/saw/unbolt the offending article a jury rigged paddle
will probably get you by, together with streaming warps if things get lively,
but I've never really given it a thought as a likely hazard for an
ocean-crossing passage. Not too difficult if it's possible to use a dinghy
as a repair platform but when did trouble ever occur in a calm?

A hacksaw blade on a pole might be enough to cut away damage but only if you
can somehow get it into the right position...

What tricks do you lot have in reserve?

Boats entering the Newport-Bermuda Race must be able to demonstrate a
workable emergency rudder/tiller that meets with the satisfaction of
the safety inspection committee. A common strategy is to have a
cabin door that has been prepared for lashing to the spinnaker pole.
I wouldn't want to steer a 50 footer 300 miles that way but it could
probably be made to work.

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

It happened to the Bismark too. Was she a Beneteau boat?

Dennis.

I believe the Bismarck's rudder failure was arranged by the Royal Navy's
Fleet Air Arm and delivered by Fairey Swordfish.
--
Duncan Heenan

I was being facetious, you are quite right, the old Fairey Swordfish marked
the end of the battleship era. I would have thought that would have been
obvious to the military boffins during WW1, but it took another 25 years to
prove the point.

Dennis.

wrote:

[...]

Not knowing the boat, it's difficult to imagine what would cause the rudder
to jam at full lock, but I would guess the cause to be internal, rather than
external.

Dennis.

wrote this crap:

Which rather dodges the larger question. I have only once been aboard a
vessel that smashed her rudder and then she was small enough that we could
unship the remains* and get enough steering force from a towed bucket.

Now -if- you can break/saw/unbolt the offending article a jury rigged paddle
will probably get you by, together with streaming warps if things get lively,
but I've never really given it a thought as a likely hazard for an
ocean-crossing passage. Not too difficult if it's possible to use a dinghy
as a repair platform but when did trouble ever occur in a calm?

A hacksaw blade on a pole might be enough to cut away damage but only if you
can somehow get it into the right position...

What tricks do you lot have in reserve?

I once broke the tiller.

We steered with the sails.

Vote for Palin-Ahhhnold in 2012.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Typical Motorboater Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 6 June 13th 09 04:02 AM
Typical Democrats Joe ASA 6 May 26th 07 02:16 PM
Typical ASA post #2 Peter J Ross ASA 0 September 4th 03 03:21 PM
Typical ASA Post #1 Peter J Ross ASA 3 September 4th 03 10:46 AM
Typical Scout ASA 52 July 10th 03 06:36 PM