Default Typical Motorboater

What kind of a boater says he's going to cruise the Abacos and then clears
customs at Bimini? Doh!

If you're going to cruise the Abacos then West End, Grand Bahama is the
place to clear customs. But, I suppose motorboaters aren't bright enough to
really know where the Abacos are on the charts. Oh, excuse me. I guess most
motorboaters either don't have charts or, if they do, don't have a clue as
to how to use them. It's just follow the route on the GPS and Katy bar the
door. I guess constantly breathing all the diesel fumes kills way too many
brain cells.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:38:00 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

What kind of a boater says he's going to cruise the Abacos and then clears
customs at Bimini?

It turns out that if you are coming from the FL Keys via the Gulf
Stream, Bimini is the closest place to check in. After that you are
on your own time without being concerned about customs closing time or
weekends. Going north from Bimini you still get a small boost from
the current.

wrote:

What kind of a boater says he's going to cruise the Abacos and then clears
customs at Bimini?

It turns out that if you are coming from the FL Keys via the Gulf
Stream, Bimini is the closest place to check in. After that you are
on your own time without being concerned about customs closing time or
weekends. Going north from Bimini you still get a small boost from
the current.

But, that boost is always there. What good is stopping at Bimini when West
End is easier, safer, the channel is well marked, the officials friendlier
and it is far less crowded? He could have made it to West End by Friday
morning had he just kept on going. Actually, there is no need to check in if
one is just transiting Bahamas waters to a given port of entry. He could
have gone all the way to Marsh Harbor, for example, and checked in there.
The last time I cruised the Abacos I never checked in at all and was there
for four months. Nobody ever checks papers over there. There's an added
advantage if you don't check in. It makes it unnecessary to check back into
the USA to get that dumb clearance number and silly inspection.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:31:37 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

What good is stopping at Bimini when West
End is easier, safer, the channel is well marked, the officials friendlier
and it is far less crowded?

Thanks to an almost 4 kt boost from the Gulf Stream we were at Bimini
by late afternoon, perfect time to check in and get a good nights
sleep. We had no issue with the officials and tied up at the customs
house dock at no charge. In addition to that, we'd never been to
Bimini before.

wrote:

The last time I cruised the Abacos I never checked in at all and was there
for four months. Nobody ever checks papers over there. There's an added
advantage if you don't check in. It makes it unnecessary to check back into
the USA to get that dumb clearance number and silly inspection.

The risk/reward ratio does not compute for most people. Even if the
chance of getting caught is small, the penalties are severe and they
like to make an example of those who are caught.

It's fairly easy to play by the rules so why not?

wrote:

What good is stopping at Bimini when West
End is easier, safer, the channel is well marked, the officials friendlier
and it is far less crowded?

Thanks to an almost 4 kt boost from the Gulf Stream we were at Bimini
by late afternoon, perfect time to check in and get a good nights
sleep. We had no issue with the officials and tied up at the customs
house dock at no charge. In addition to that, we'd never been to
Bimini before.

I suppose that makes sense. You were fortunate you were there Thursday.
Friday afternoons can be hectic with all the fishing charters making the
crossing and trying to check in. I checked in at Bimini once but never
again. It's dirty, crowded and had stupid seaplanes blasting through the
anchorage plus that dogleg channel with a hard to see, tired, little unlit
range markers isn't otherwise marked and is dangerous with any kind of sea
running. The dock at the custom's house was rough, and not suitable for
tying up small boats. But that was years ago and they might have improved
things since then.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

The last time I cruised the Abacos I never checked in at all and was there
for four months. Nobody ever checks papers over there. There's an added
advantage if you don't check in. It makes it unnecessary to check back
into
the USA to get that dumb clearance number and silly inspection.

The risk/reward ratio does not compute for most people. Even if the
chance of getting caught is small, the penalties are severe and they
like to make an example of those who are caught.

It's fairly easy to play by the rules so why not?

The trick is to keep moving and if you do get asked for papers simply say
you are on your way to check in. Judicious use of the yellow flag helps with
the ruse.

Rules are made to be broken . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Typical Democrats Joe ASA 6 May 26th 07 02:16 PM
Typical gph for a 6 hp Mercury 4-stroke ? Sven General 24 December 30th 03 07:37 AM
Typical ASA post #2 Peter J Ross ASA 0 September 4th 03 03:21 PM
Typical ASA Post #1 Peter J Ross ASA 3 September 4th 03 10:46 AM
Typical Scout ASA 52 July 10th 03 06:36 PM