posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa
Derek Moody Derek Moody is offline

Default Your Typical Beneteau!

In article , Adrian
wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...421ymnews.html

Rudder failure causes British couple to abandon sailboat.

Glass, throw, houses, in, people, stones, shouldn't, stones...re-arrange to
suit.

Which rather dodges the larger question. I have only once been aboard a
vessel that smashed her rudder and then she was small enough that we could
unship the remains* and get enough steering force from a towed bucket.

Now -if- you can break/saw/unbolt the offending article a jury rigged paddle
will probably get you by, together with streaming warps if things get lively,
but I've never really given it a thought as a likely hazard for an
ocean-crossing passage. Not too difficult if it's possible to use a dinghy
as a repair platform but when did trouble ever occur in a calm?

A hacksaw blade on a pole might be enough to cut away damage but only if you
can somehow get it into the right position...

What tricks do you lot have in reserve?

Cheerio,

* For unship read: crowbar out, bending the upper pin.

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/