posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Your Typical Beneteau!

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:18:49 +0100, Derek Moody
wrote:

Now -if- you can break/saw/unbolt the offending article a jury rigged paddle
will probably get you by, together with streaming warps if things get lively,
but I've never really given it a thought as a likely hazard for an
ocean-crossing passage. Not too difficult if it's possible to use a dinghy
as a repair platform but when did trouble ever occur in a calm?

A hacksaw blade on a pole might be enough to cut away damage but only if you
can somehow get it into the right position...

What tricks do you lot have in reserve?

Boats entering the Newport-Bermuda Race must be able to demonstrate a
workable emergency rudder/tiller that meets with the satisfaction of
the safety inspection committee. A common strategy is to have a
cabin door that has been prepared for lashing to the spinnaker pole.
I wouldn't want to steer a 50 footer 300 miles that way but it could
probably be made to work.