Joe Joe is offline

Default Pirate Rifles

I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

Here is a discussion.

http://forums.grunt.com/forums/t/53005.aspx

Gogarty wrote:
In article lutions,
lid says...
"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Have not heard of this before but if you can have gyro-stabilized
binoculars I would think gyro-stabilizsing a large weapon would be a
simple problem.

I think you thought wrong on this one G.

Gyro stabilizing binocs involves movinh a tiny mirror.
A gyro stabilized gun would be a massively different thing.

Richard

cavelamb wrote:
Gogarty wrote:
In article lutions,
lid says...
"Joe" wrote in message

I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Have not heard of this before but if you can have gyro-stabilized
binoculars I would think gyro-stabilizsing a large weapon would be a
simple problem.

I think you thought wrong on this one G.

Gyro stabilizing binocs involves movinh a tiny mirror.
A gyro stabilized gun would be a massively different thing.

Richard

No, they had gyro_stabilized binoculars in the sixties that used a pair
of gyros to stabilize the whole shebang, there was was a cylindrical box
about as big as the binocs two which a standard pair of binoculars was
attached.

Modern techniques use either a small mirror or move the prisms....

Cheers
Martin

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

A gyro stabilized gun mount is simply connected to the ship's gyros. It's
all low frequency large amplitude signals but has to track position (Type I
control system). Binoculars could be image stabilized (lower in cost) or
gyro stabilized. That control loop (gyro) has higher frequency signals but
can tolerate positional error (Type II control system). The gun mount ships
gyro is a mechanical system. The good optical systems use laser ring gyros.
Aircraft mounted laser pointing systems are the hardest to stabilise. I
serious doubt there are any gyro stabilized shoulder fired rifles. If the
shooter is that shakey he's no marksmen. In the case of the pirates, so what
if the rifle on the ship is stabilized if the target is bouncing all about?
Stabilizing the rifle relative to the earth (absolute space in reality)
doesn't buy anything in accuracy if the target isn't in that reference
plane. It's like bench rest shooting at moving targets. Does anyone remember
the old binocular driven gun directors from before WWII ships and how they
worked?

http://www.usstexasbb35.com/mk_51.htm

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/Misc/Mk49/

http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/CHAPTER-20-C.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_37...Control_System

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Gogarty wrote:
In article lutions,
lid says...
"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Have not heard of this before but if you can have gyro-stabilized
binoculars I would think gyro-stabilizsing a large weapon would be a
simple problem.

I think you thought wrong on this one G.

Gyro stabilizing binocs involves movinh a tiny mirror.
A gyro stabilized gun would be a massively different thing.

Richard

Duh! Richard you aren't too bright. In order for a gyro stabilized rifle to
work it would be required to remain still as the ship moved under it. A
heavy enough gyro would do an admirable job of keeping the rifle from moving
as the ship moved under it. It would take a little more effort to get it
sighted on the target but, once sighted, it should remain sighted.

But firing ship to ship adds a second dimension. No gyro stabilized rifle is
going to take into account the other vessel's movement relative to it. This
is where the human factor comes in. Kentucky windage and all that as the
sniper's telescope views the same spot as the pirate vessel moves up and
down and drifts with the seas. Even a gyro stabilized rifle would be
extremely difficult to shoot accurately ship to ship. Those seals must be
crack shots for sure.

I know all this because I've watch "The Unit" DVDs.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:14:57 -0700, Joe wrote:

I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles to
take out the pirates.

same concept as a motion-control camera system, a series of gyros null
out motion by way of manipulating gyroscopic precession forces

another Canadian invention by the way

you're welcome...

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:30:23 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

I'm not going to say I know for sure but the rifles they probably used
were the Mk11. http://www.navyseals.com/mk11-sniper-weapon-system-sws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-25

The other likely choice would be the M14. http://www.navyseals.com/m14
But I'd say it's more like a 95% chance it was the Mk11.

*If* they were "gyro stabilized", the seals probably mounted something
like this: http://www.ken-lab.com/ onto the rifles. Stabilizing just
the scope does you no good because the scope is supposed to be
pointing at whatever the rifle is pointing at. If the scope is
stabilized and the rifle is bobbing around, what's the point?

I really don't know why they would need to stabilize the rifle if
they're perched on the deck of a destroyer shooting at a little
lifeboat that's bobbing around. The slow large motion of the
destroyer isn't going to be damped out by the gyro. For a hand-held
weapon, a gyro would only really be useful for damping out smaller,
faster vibrations. But if they use that gyro stabilizer for other
purposes, like shooting from helicopters, and train with them a lot,
they're not going to take them off just because they don't need them
on the ship. You shoot like you've trained for.

Steve

"mr.b" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:14:57 -0700, Joe wrote:

I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles to
take out the pirates.

same concept as a motion-control camera system, a series of gyros null
out motion by way of manipulating gyroscopic precession forces

All gyros do is indicate an absolute vector in space. If they are
precessing, then they lost their absolute vector. The mechanical gyros are
mounted so they experience no force at all, their position is read relative
to the frame they are housed in. Laser ring gyros don't precess and exert no
force.

another Canadian invention by the way

As was fire, the wheel and time travel.

you're welcome...

No, you're welcome!

What's my Pirate Name? Capt. Bess Kid ASA 11 September 4th 07 07:39 PM
Salvage or Pirate [email protected] ASA 1 December 7th 04 03:14 AM
Pirate stopper Bart Senior ASA 6 November 24th 04 12:10 PM
Talk like a pirate day Horvath ASA 5 August 7th 04 04:50 PM