Default Pirate Rifles

Gyro stabilized guns are only good for fixed targets. If the target is
moving there is nothing to gain and in reality the system is even less
accurate.

"Steve" wrote in message

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:30:23 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

I'm not going to say I know for sure but the rifles they probably used
were the Mk11. http://www.navyseals.com/mk11-sniper-weapon-system-sws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-25

The other likely choice would be the M14. http://www.navyseals.com/m14
But I'd say it's more like a 95% chance it was the Mk11.

*If* they were "gyro stabilized", the seals probably mounted something
like this: http://www.ken-lab.com/ onto the rifles. Stabilizing just
the scope does you no good because the scope is supposed to be
pointing at whatever the rifle is pointing at. If the scope is
stabilized and the rifle is bobbing around, what's the point?

I really don't know why they would need to stabilize the rifle if
they're perched on the deck of a destroyer shooting at a little
lifeboat that's bobbing around. The slow large motion of the
destroyer isn't going to be damped out by the gyro. For a hand-held
weapon, a gyro would only really be useful for damping out smaller,
faster vibrations. But if they use that gyro stabilizer for other
purposes, like shooting from helicopters, and train with them a lot,
they're not going to take them off just because they don't need them
on the ship. You shoot like you've trained for.

Steve

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:23:49 -0600, "Sal Monella"
wrote:

Gyro stabilized guns are only good for fixed targets. If the target is
moving there is nothing to gain and in reality the system is even less
accurate.

Not true. A gyro stabilized gun is good for shooting from a platform
that has short period low amplitude vibrations, like a helicopter,
airplane, truck, etc. It will greatly increase accuracy even if the
target is moving. Especially if the target is moving with a constant
velocity, like a car driving down the road. But even if the target is
bobbing like a boat, as long as the motion is predictable. If the
target is moving unpredictably, then the gyro stabilizer could hurt
accuracy. But in that case, you're not going to be likely to have a
great shot on it anyway even without a gyro stabilizer.

I don't think it would be of much use in this pirate situation though,
because the destroyer doesn't have short period low amplitude
vibrations that need to be damped. But like I said, if they're
training consists mostly of using a gyro, they wouldn't take it off
unless it would actually hurt accuracy. In this case, while it
wouldn't help accuracy much, it wouldn't hurt either. So leave it on.

I still have yet to see someone confirming that they were using gyro
stabilized weapons though. Until that happens, this is all just
speculation.

Steve

.. .

wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

I'm going to guess that (being Seals) they were real shooters and the
motion of the tow platforms combined at that range meant a CEP (Circular
Error Probable) of which ventricle got popped.

Richard

In article , Joe wrote:
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

A quick Google found another forum discussing this. One of the posters
suggests that the rifle isn't stabilised, it's the telescopic sites that
are stabilised. It's also suggested that this is what they use to snipe
from helicopters.

That's what I found on Google, I know nothing of guns because our
government won't let us have them.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:44:11 -0000, Justin C
wrote:

One of the posters
suggests that the rifle isn't stabilised, it's the telescopic sites that
are stabilised.

Sure. The rifle waves like a conductors baton, while the crosshairs
remain fixed on a point in space. This will do no good whatever.

Casady

"Steve" wrote in message

gun stuff snipped.

It will greatly increase accuracy even if the
target is moving. Especially if the target is moving with a constant
velocity, like a car driving down the road. But even if the target is
bobbing like a boat, as long as the motion is predictable.

I do not think that the lifeboat was bobbing about in the sort of way of a
powerless boat would be in a choppy sea.
The US warship had it on tow and although it could not have been going very
fast that would be enough to stabilise the motion of the towed boat and
possibly made it more predictable.
So, it was still very good shooting but not as difficult as some have
suggested, especially if these guys were trained sharpshooters...

wrote:

Gyro stabilized guns are only good for fixed targets. If the target is
moving there is nothing to gain and in reality the system is even less
accurate.

Not true. A gyro stabilized gun is good for shooting from a platform
that has short period low amplitude vibrations, like a helicopter,
airplane, truck, etc. It will greatly increase accuracy even if the
target is moving.

What you are describing here is high frequency noise. An elastic mount will
accomplish the same thing, but you are correct.

Especially if the target is moving with a constant
velocity, like a car driving down the road. But even if the target is
bobbing like a boat, as long as the motion is predictable.

That's true, constant angular velocity and constant range.

If the
target is moving unpredictably, then the gyro stabilizer could hurt
accuracy. But in that case, you're not going to be likely to have a
great shot on it anyway even without a gyro stabilizer.

GE developed a targeting systems used in tanks back in the 70's that could
analyze and predict the shaking of the aimer, including the flinch.
Obviously today's systems don't have that problem.

I don't think it would be of much use in this pirate situation though,
because the destroyer doesn't have short period low amplitude
vibrations that need to be damped. But like I said, if they're
training consists mostly of using a gyro, they wouldn't take it off
unless it would actually hurt accuracy. In this case, while it
wouldn't help accuracy much, it wouldn't hurt either. So leave it on.

I still have yet to see someone confirming that they were using gyro
stabilized weapons though. Until that happens, this is all just
speculation.

I believe they used their normal rifles and their skills which are not
stabilized in any way.

Steve

. ..

wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

[...]

I tend to think that too Nellie. Someone said here that he jumped in
again. When he did I bet they just went full auto and did a bonnie and
clyde on the pirates.

Hopefully a sailor caught the action on his cell phone and will post
it on you tube soon.

If they did indeed have 3 shots with 3 kills ricking ship to
lifeboat, that was some fancy shootin.

Joe

Joe

"Joe" skrev i melding

wrote:

[...]

Since you obviously like to watch snipers in action here is one for you:
http://www.truveo.com/Juba-Sniper-ki.../id/2112993970

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:53:02 +0200, "Jan" wrote:

"Joe" skrev i melding
On Apr 18, 12:55 pm, "Sal Monella" wrote:
I believe they used their normal rifles and their skills which are not
stabilized in any way.

I tend to think that too Nellie. Someone said here that he jumped in
again. When he did I bet they just went full auto and did a bonnie and
clyde on the pirates.

Not likely. The weapon they used does not have full auto capability.

Steve

What's my Pirate Name? Capt. Bess Kid ASA 11 September 4th 07 07:39 PM
Salvage or Pirate [email protected] ASA 1 December 7th 04 03:14 AM
Pirate stopper Bart Senior ASA 6 November 24th 04 12:10 PM
Talk like a pirate day Horvath ASA 5 August 7th 04 04:50 PM