Default Pirate Rifles

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:14:57 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

It was probably either the M82A1 .50 cal or the MK11 .30. Probably
the M82A1 because it would punch through the hull or spray shield if
necessary. The only stabilization is in the reporters minds. They
keep going in a straight line when the story curves into territory
they don't understand. I would not be surprised to learn they had
multiple shooters per pirate or that each pirate had multiple hits.
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 18, 4:53*pm, "Jan" wrote:
"Joe" skrev i ...
On Apr 18, 12:55 pm, "Sal Monella" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

.. .

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:23:49 -0600, "Sal Monella"
wrote:

Gyro stabilized guns are only good for fixed targets. If the target is
moving there is nothing to gain and in reality the system is even less
accurate.

Not true. A gyro stabilized gun is good for shooting from a platform
that has short period low amplitude vibrations, like a helicopter,
airplane, truck, etc. It will greatly increase accuracy even if the
target is moving.

What you are describing here is high frequency noise. An elastic mount
will
accomplish the same thing, but you are correct.

Especially if the target is moving with a constant

velocity, like a car driving down the road. But even if the target is
bobbing like a boat, as long as the motion is predictable.

That's true, constant angular velocity and constant range.

If the

target is moving unpredictably, then the gyro stabilizer could hurt
accuracy. But in that case, you're not going to be likely to have a
great shot on it anyway even without a gyro stabilizer.

GE developed a targeting systems used in tanks back in the 70's that could
analyze and predict the shaking of the aimer, including the flinch.
Obviously today's systems don't have that problem.

I don't think it would be of much use in this pirate situation though,
because the destroyer doesn't have short period low amplitude
vibrations that need to be damped. But like I said, if they're
training consists mostly of using a gyro, they wouldn't take it off
unless it would actually hurt accuracy. In this case, while it
wouldn't help accuracy much, it wouldn't hurt either. So leave it on.

I still have yet to see someone confirming that they were using gyro
stabilized weapons though. Until that happens, this is all just
speculation.

I believe they used their normal rifles and their skills which are not
stabilized in any way.

*I tend to think that too Nellie. Someone said here that he jumped in
again. When he did I bet they just went full auto and did a bonnie and
clyde on the pirates.

*Hopefully a sailor caught the action on his cell phone and will post
it on you tube soon.

Since you obviously like to watch snipers in action here is one for you:http://www.truveo.com/Juba-Sniper-ki...id/2112993970- Hide quoted text -

Jan I just want to see the latest in anti pirate tech. Hovering gryo
stabalized rifles fired by keyboard mouse. I've decided to pack
weapons aboard sailing south next time even with the customs hassles.

I'm proud of the Navys accomplishments on this matter, they need to
set the tone on how we will deal with Pirates.

Do you often post links to ( masked cowards) , terrorist bragging
about killing American troops?

Joe

What's my Pirate Name? Capt. Bess Kid ASA 11 September 4th 07 07:39 PM
Salvage or Pirate [email protected] ASA 1 December 7th 04 03:14 AM
Pirate stopper Bart Senior ASA 6 November 24th 04 12:10 PM
Talk like a pirate day Horvath ASA 5 August 7th 04 04:50 PM