Default Americans take ship back!

I heard this story break on the BBC World service early this morning,
that Somali pirates had hijacked a US flagged container ship and after a
battle lasting several hours had taken the ship,,,

Then on the way home this afternoon I hear on NPR that the American crew
had taken the ship back, but not the captain...

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D97EG5800.html

I wonder what happened, did the Americans, sick of terrorist jerks
taking whatever they want say "Enough, we're not going to roll over like
a bunch of underpaid Filipinos." "We're UNION, and no non-union crew is
gonna run this boat" :-)

Cheers
Martin

They apparently disabled the ship, presumably in a way that did not
encourage the pirates to sacrifice a crewman as an incentive to fix it
up again. With US warships heading for the area, not to mention
visitations by missile packing drones, they headed out with the Captain.

Brian W

"Martin" wrote in message

I wonder what happened, did the Americans, sick of terrorist jerks taking
whatever they want say "Enough, we're not going to roll over like a bunch
of underpaid Filipinos." "We're UNION, and no non-union crew is gonna run
this boat" :-)

If you are wondering what happened simply ask the captain of the ship if he
is returned alive for $10 million.

Unions: always quick to shaft the management!

Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 9, 8:03*am, "Sal Monella" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

I wonder what happened, *did the Americans, sick of terrorist jerks taking
whatever they want say "Enough, we're not going to roll over like a bunch
of underpaid Filipinos." *"We're UNION, and no non-union crew is gonna run
this boat" :-)

If you are wondering what happened simply ask the captain of the ship if he
is returned alive for $10 million.

Unions: always quick to shaft the management!

There will be no ransom paid.
Crews fine.

The Captain is in a lifeboat surrounded by half a dozen 50 cal.
machine guns.

Joe

"Joe" skrev i melding
"Martin" wrote in message

I wonder what happened, did the Americans, sick of terrorist jerks
taking
whatever they want say "Enough, we're not going to roll over like a
bunch
of underpaid Filipinos." "We're UNION, and no non-union crew is gonna
run
this boat" :-)

If you are wondering what happened simply ask the captain of the ship if
he
is returned alive for $10 million.

Unions: always quick to shaft the management!

There will be no ransom paid.
Crews fine.

The Captain is in a lifeboat surrounded by half a dozen 50 cal.
machine guns.

Joe

How come he is surrounded by half a dozen machine guns, only 4 pirates
attacked the vessel.
1 was captured, 3 remains with the captain.

Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 9, 11:13*am, "Jan" wrote:
"Joe" skrev i ...
On Apr 9, 8:03 am, "Sal Monella" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

m...

I wonder what happened, did the Americans, sick of terrorist jerks
taking
whatever they want say "Enough, we're not going to roll over like a
bunch
of underpaid Filipinos." "We're UNION, and no non-union crew is gonna
run
this boat" :-)

If you are wondering what happened simply ask the captain of the ship if
he
is returned alive for $10 million.

Unions: always quick to shaft the management!

*There will be no ransom paid.
Crews fine.

The Captain is in a lifeboat surrounded by half a dozen 50 cal.
machine guns.

Joe

How come he is surrounded by half a dozen machine guns, only 4 pirates
attacked the vessel.
1 was captured, 3 remains with the captain.- Hide quoted text -

A US Navy Destroyer and 3 fast ribs surround the lifeboat he is held
in.
The pirates should stick to capturing euro and mid east ships if they
expect to be paid ransoms.

I suspect the pirates will surrender, or be killed, before any money
is exchanged.

Joe

Sal Monella wrote:

If you are wondering what happened simply ask the captain of the ship if he
is returned alive for $10 million.

I have got a feeling there are one or two ways to both save the Captain
and deny the pirates their booty. We'll see!

Brian W

Joe wrote in news:91c5321d-00c1-4fe9-a136-
:

The Captain is in a lifeboat surrounded by half a dozen 50 cal.
machine guns.

I just read the lifeboat was out of fuel....

"Larry" wrote in message
Joe wrote in news:91c5321d-00c1-4fe9-a136-
:

The Captain is in a lifeboat surrounded by half a dozen 50 cal.
machine guns.

I just read the lifeboat was out of fuel....

I just read they have enough food for a week.
No way these pirates are going home any time soon.

"Martin" wrote in message

I heard this story break on the BBC World service early this morning, that
Somali pirates had hijacked a US flagged container ship and after a battle
lasting several hours had taken the ship,,,

Then on the way home this afternoon I hear on NPR that the American crew
had taken the ship back, but not the captain...

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D97EG5800.html

I wonder what happened, did the Americans, sick of terrorist jerks taking
whatever they want say "Enough, we're not going to roll over like a bunch
of underpaid Filipinos." "We're UNION, and no non-union crew is gonna run
this boat" :-)

Cheers
Martin

I don't quite get it... seems to me that if the pirates are operating from
larger vessels in international waters (or not), why don't we go after the
larger motherships? They should be that hard to identify.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com