JAWs

Default Trysail Track Installation

I am adding a trysail track to my Catalina 38. The mast has an
internal track for the main, and I'm adding an external track for the
trysail.

I have noticed that most of the tracks I've looked at extend down
almost to the cabin top. Is there a reason to do so? Also, I've been
told that the track should be on the starboard side, but not why it
should be there. Finally, I'm trying to decide where the track should
go. I'm thinking that it should be as far aft as possible, but offset
enough to be clear of the internal groove.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Jim Williams
Checks in the Mail
Norfolk, VA
Wayne.B

On Sun, 23 May 2004 13:40:38 GMT, JAWs wrote:
I am adding a trysail track to my Catalina 38. The mast has an
internal track for the main, and I'm adding an external track for the
trysail.

I have noticed that most of the tracks I've looked at extend down
almost to the cabin top. Is there a reason to do so? Also, I've been
told that the track should be on the starboard side, but not why it
should be there. Finally, I'm trying to decide where the track should
go. I'm thinking that it should be as far aft as possible, but offset
enough to be clear of the internal groove.

By extending the track almost to the cabin top, you can store the
storm trysail attached to the track and in the bag. That's a big
convenience if you're trying to get it up in typical trysail
conditions. I believe the starboard side recommendation stems from
the tradition of having the main halyard on the starboard side. That
would leave you on the starboard side of the boom for everything
involved with the hoist.

Steve

Check the width of your trysail slides before installing the track.. See if
the can be hoisted "behind" the main while it is reefed down or on the
boom, without. Ideally the trysail should be able to clear the sail folds
and ride above the head board of the main. Often hard to achieve but is the
ideal arrangement.

This may mean that the lower 'feeder' track will come around to the side of
the mast several inches, but that won't effect the trysail once you have
hoisted it above the main.

This has created a problem with my new fill batten main. The main sail stack
is about 4 ft above the boom due to the height of the four batten cars and
the intermediate slide cars. (I really have to stretch to reach the head
board/halyard).

I haven't had my storm trysail made up yet but I may have some problems
since my mainsail stack is so high.

Good Luck.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:18 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

In conditions which require a trysail wouldn't it be better to remove
your mainsail stack and get it below. Then the trysail could be set
low with the clew attached to the cockpit sole. Boom end lowered and
tied off would then be possible.
I could be wrong about this but that's how I'd do it.
Mark E. Williams
Jofra

In conditions which require a trysail wouldn't it be better to remove
your mainsail stack and get it below. Then the trysail could be set
low with the clew attached to the cockpit sole. Boom end lowered and
tied off would then be possible.
I could be wrong about this but that's how I'd do it.
Mark E. Williams

Mark, what is a "mainsail stack"?

jofra

Steve

You might be able to do that on a small cruiser but I wouldn't want to
attempt to remove 450 sqft main with semi perm.(~15 ft) battens.(where would
I store it??) I also have a Dutchman sail flaking system. Just not
practical. It's a hastle to remove the main in port.

The storm trysail can still be sheeted to cleat on deck once the boom is
secured in the gallows or !!. Can't really lower the boom end with lazy
jacks or Dutchman system.

There is nothing wrong with setting the storm trysail above the main stack.
If you look at any sail plan that included a this sail, you will see that it
is designed to be high above the boom, just for this reason.

My experience and opinion, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

The "Main Sail Stack" I'm referring to is the bulk of sail that remains
above the boom, at the mast, when it is lowered and remains in the mast
grove or on the sail track.

Before full battens and batten cars, etc. this didn't amount to much more
that a lump above the gooseneck. Now, with batten cars measureing 4-6" in
height and intermediates being on similar but smaller cars, this stack has
increased to several feet or as with mine, over 4 ft.

It is not an easy matter to fully remove these cars and I only remove mine
once a season to clean and run a lubricant wiper up and down the track..

I will admit, I'm beginning to miss the KISS of my last boat, albeit a less
efficient sail. The price I pay for that extra roach and sail area, etc.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Mark

You don't need a trysail. Where you going in a Catalina that needs a
trysail.

Catalina's should not be taken out in more than 30 knots of wind.

Jofra

"Jofra" wrote in message

In conditions which require a trysail wouldn't it be better to remove
your mainsail stack and get it below. Then the trysail could be set
low with the clew attached to the cockpit sole. Boom end lowered and
tied off would then be possible.
I could be wrong about this but that's how I'd do it.
Mark E. Williams

If the conditions are bad enough to use a trysail, then it would be
impossible to get the mainsail off and down below.

jofra

paavo

JAWs wrote:

I am adding a trysail track to my Catalina 38. The mast has an
internal track for the main, and I'm adding an external track for the
trysail.

I have noticed that most of the tracks I've looked at extend down
almost to the cabin top. Is there a reason to do so? Also, I've been
told that the track should be on the starboard side, but not why it
should be there.

In tropical storms, like cyclones and hurricanes, winds rotate
counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere. Thus, if you find yourself on
the path of tropical storm, sailing on starboard tack would get you away
from the eye of the storm. Thus having the external trysail track on PORT
side would help setting the trysail.

If you sail into a tropical storm in the southern hemisphere, you would
avoid the eye of the storm by sailing on port tack, and thus the track
should be on starboard side.

Finding yourself on the path of a tropical storm in a Catalina might not be
a good idea..

Finally, I'm trying to decide where the track should
go. I'm thinking that it should be as far aft as possible, but offset
enough to be clear of the internal groove.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Jim Williams
Checks in the Mail
Norfolk, VA

Transducer Installation BigBadJohn General 8 June 15th 04 11:40 PM
Ideas on how to electronically track a float at sea? Gfretwell General 3 August 8th 03 01:25 AM
Macerator installation WF Cruising 14 July 31st 03 06:41 PM
battery installation A.Z Boat Building 2 July 20th 03 10:57 AM
Bolt rope track for dodger? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 8 July 14th 03 06:46 AM