BigBadJohn

Default Transducer Installation

I am Installing a Transom Mount Transducer on my 21' SeaRay.
How high up should the thru hole be for the transducer cable?
The water line is just below the swim platform. And the black cable
won't look too nice against my white transom. Any thoughts or
experiences appreciated.

TIA
mono sect

Epoxy it to the bottom of your craft, it's easier and just as sensitive, no
kidding.

This is my second boat and third transducer but first through hull mount. We
can be underway or fast trolling and have a clear and 'detailed' view of the
life and terrain beneath us.

Did I mention fast trolling?

Go for it, you won't regret it!

"BigBadJohn" wrote in message
om...
I am Installing a Transom Mount Transducer on my 21' SeaRay.
How high up should the thru hole be for the transducer cable?
The water line is just below the swim platform. And the black cable
won't look too nice against my white transom. Any thoughts or
experiences appreciated.

TIA

Marty S.

Actually, I had this same question for the Bass Pro Shop salesman. I have a
small aluminum jon boat and I didn't feel comfortable drilling holes for the
transducer and cable and then making sure that they were watertight...
especially with leaks over the next few years... The salesman said to get
some strong epoxy and just glue the transducer mount to the rear of the
boat.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"mono sect" wrote in message
Epoxy it to the bottom of your craft, it's easier and just as sensitive,

no
kidding.

This is my second boat and third transducer but first through hull mount.

We
can be underway or fast trolling and have a clear and 'detailed' view of

the
life and terrain beneath us.

Did I mention fast trolling?

Go for it, you won't regret it!

"BigBadJohn" wrote in message
om...
I am Installing a Transom Mount Transducer on my 21' SeaRay.
How high up should the thru hole be for the transducer cable?
The water line is just below the swim platform. And the black cable
won't look too nice against my white transom. Any thoughts or
experiences appreciated.

TIA

mono sect

"Marty S." wrote in message
Actually, I had this same question for the Bass Pro Shop salesman. I have

small aluminum jon boat and I didn't feel comfortable drilling holes for

the
transducer and cable and then making sure that they were watertight...
especially with leaks over the next few years... The salesman said to

get
some strong epoxy and just glue the transducer mount to the rear of the
boat.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

The transom is thick enough on a wood and fiberglass boat to handle the 1/2"
wood screws that come with the transom mount kit. I can appreciate your
concerns having an aluminum boat though.

I always thought a threw hull mount would degrade the performance of the
transducer, man was I wrong. As long as there are no bubbles in the
fiberglass (I called the dealer, he said no prob), transom mounting rocks.

"mono sect" wrote in message
[...]

mono sect

"Marty S." wrote in message
[...]

fiberglass (I called the dealer, he said no prob), threw hull mounting
rocks.

"mono sect" wrote in message
[...]

Gary Warner

"BigBadJohn" wrote in message
om...
I am Installing a Transom Mount Transducer on my 21' SeaRay.
How high up should the thru hole be for the transducer cable?
The water line is just below the swim platform. And the black cable
won't look too nice against my white transom. Any thoughts or
experiences appreciated.

TIA

Others have mentioned using different installation locations
and/or methods. They may be good ideas. But to answer
the question you asked: I'd drill the hole above the water
line by a few inches but below the swim platform. I know
you say the water line is "just below" the platform, but
usually there is at least an inch or two. Anyway, then seal
the hole with calk on both sides (3M 4200 probably). If the
hole is only slightly bigger than the cable not enough water
would come in to cause a serious problem anyway. And
sealed there should be no water coming in.

Note: When I first started I got confused when someone typed
"Thru-Hull" because transducers can be mounted in a hole that
does through the hull (with the transducer actuall touching the water)
or they can be mounted where the transducer is INSIDE the boat,
not touching the water and just shooting it's signal "through the hull."

Tony Thomas

As mentioned - shoot the hull. There should be a location in the bilge area
that has no wood in it for you to mount the transducer at. Usually painted
black so you can find it. The signals will shoot thru the glass and work
just fine. No worry of water intrusion, rot around the screws, hitting
something and knocking it off, adjusting for the perfect angle. People will
tell you different solutions for mounting but I always use silicone.

Step 1: w/ boat in water put some water in the bilge so you are creating an
airless seal between the transducer and the hull. Move the transducer
around until you find an area where it works.
Step 2: pull boat out of water and drain all water from this area.
Step 3: clean the area w/ some mineral spirits or acetone, or something
that will not leave a residue.
Step 4: Place a huge glob of silicone where you plan to mount it.
Step 5: mash the transducer down into the silicone forcing out all excess
and bubbles.
Step 6: Allow to dry.
Step 7 (optional): Take a box knife and scraper and remove the excess
silicone. Just be carefull not to break the transducer loose.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com