Wayne.B

Default Trysail Track Installation

On Sun, 23 May 2004 13:40:38 GMT, JAWs wrote:
I am adding a trysail track to my Catalina 38. The mast has an
internal track for the main, and I'm adding an external track for the
trysail.

I have noticed that most of the tracks I've looked at extend down
almost to the cabin top. Is there a reason to do so? Also, I've been
told that the track should be on the starboard side, but not why it
should be there. Finally, I'm trying to decide where the track should
go. I'm thinking that it should be as far aft as possible, but offset
enough to be clear of the internal groove.

By extending the track almost to the cabin top, you can store the
storm trysail attached to the track and in the bag. That's a big
convenience if you're trying to get it up in typical trysail
conditions. I believe the starboard side recommendation stems from
the tradition of having the main halyard on the starboard side. That
would leave you on the starboard side of the boom for everything
involved with the hoist.