Default hello

"Roger Long" wrote in message
wrote

I figured I would keep land in sight and hop from port to port every
evening and not even try to play in bad weather, but this is why I'm
here to learn.

Willingness to learn is a great contributor to longevity and happiness.

First lesson:

Rocks and even sand are harder than water so they do a lot more damage
when your boat hits them.

Waves in shallow water are much more dangerous than waves in deep water.

When the **** hits the fan, you can't always make the boat go in the
direction you want it to go.

One of the most famous by-words in nautical tradition is "Searoom". The
illusion of safety from being able to see the shore is a dangerous one on
most coasts south of New England.

Same out here... same everywhere. Keep the boat off the rocks, keep water
out of the boat, stay ahead of your garbage...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-11-24 08:27:16 -0500, " said:

I figured I would keep land in sight and hop from port to port every
evening and not even try to play in bad weather, but this is why I'm
here to learn, On a lake I'm sure I would have no trouble but I really
hope to be able to do a coastal trip.

Running down the coast's fine, but there's some mighty interesting
stuff to see and do on the ICW and it's a whole lot less demanding. At
least the first time, with a new boat of unknown qualities, I'd take it
easy until I had a better understanding of the strengths and weakness
of the boat and crew.

Friend of mine went out on a daysail with us on our previous boat, his
first time on a sailboat. A few weeks later, he purchased a 26' no-name
of dubious quality, not well maintained and on the hard for a long
time. A less-experienced (!) other friend and he took it out for a
daysail. Well, they *would* have if they hadn't gone aground in the
harbor. (to be charitable, that's not tough in Rock Hall.) The next
weekend, the two of them set off the 150 or so nm to Norfolk where the
extra crewman hitched a ride back home. Said friend eventually got to
the Keys via the ICW, stayed some months, then ran out of money and
hitched home to feed the kitty. Unluckily, he died before he could get
back to her.

Now, while it might not sound like it, this was a bright guy who well
understood there were volumes he didn't know that he didn't know.
Didn't push (much) past his capabilities, read, talked, asked
questions, listened, and learned. Seemed pretty competent upon his
return. Shame he didn't take care of the diabetes (the second of my
childhood friends to die from JD.)

--
Jere Lull

" said:
I figured I would keep land in sight

Doing what? Driving down US-1?
The Southeast US coast is shallow. In many places, you can be in knee
deep water out of sight of land.... in many places the only "land" for
miles is rather mushy swamp.

Staying close to sheltered water is not too difficult... staying in
sight of land, forget it.

.... and not even try to play in bad weather, but this is why I'm
here to learn, On a lake I'm sure I would have no trouble but I really
hope to be able to do a coastal trip.

heh heh heh again I hate to be the voice of doom but you can have
PLENTY of trouble on a lake.... lesson 1, never never never EVER
underestimate your opponent!

Learning all the parts of the boat and how they work is enough of a
job at first to not complicate with learning advanced weather & tides
& navigating & anchoring etc etc, any & all of which could (and have)
filled libraries worth of books. Pick as benign an environment as
possible for your first couple of sailing excursions. Believe me, no
sailor will think less of you for it!

Jere Lull wrote:
Running down the coast's fine, but there's some mighty interesting
stuff to see and do on the ICW and it's a whole lot less demanding.

And it's still demanding enough to be a challenge; and it's just as
much 'real cruising' as anything else.

Too many people want to take off for Cape Horn without knowing the
basics, and sink their own dreams unwittingly.

I've had a long string of trailerable boats, and except for a brief
period as a bulletproof teenager, felt no compunction to 'prove'
anything by sailing them long distances when there's a perfectly road
to drive them on.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

On Nov 22, 4:36*pm, " wrote:
On Nov 22, 11:25 am, "Roger Long" wrote:

Apology accepted.

BTW, I just a few minutes ago updated the page to include my most recent
piece about my late fall cruise last year in some fairly brisk conditions.

--
Roger Long

Sorry for my stalkers *they just can't live with out me. (you would
never believe the drama.)
Heres my restoration work on VW'shttp://community.webshots.com/user/Kafertoys

People get upset when you can't do things for free.

I did trade the boat for alot of car repair, so it seemed like a great
deal its in great shape and te wood work on the inside is just
beautiful. I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

I do alot of motorboating, ski *type *and did teach sailing at a
boyscout camp *on 14' sunfish. *so I'm not a fish out of water here
but being this is 28' (foot) I know its not just something to drag in
and out of the water.

First question would be weres a good place on line to find supplies
needed like new sails?

Could I sail something this size down the east atlantic coast or would
it be more for large lakes?

I'm a bit confused here - sorry to all you folks out here in sailing
land, but I'm trying to help - Mario, this is you in this newsclip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQ8UwWPP4Y

So the local news media is among your many "stalkers"? The fact that
you've been banned from all of the major VW websites for lying,
cheating and stealing makes 90% of all people in a large hobby your
"stalkers"? The court cases you've lost and never made good on - the
judicial system is also "stalking" you?

I'll introduce you to a new concept: Occam's razor. Its roughly the
idea that the simplest explanation is likely to be correct one. You've
got litteraly hundreds of people who know you for the liar, thief and
cheat that you are and are not about to let you get away with it.

Stalkers indeed.

Sorry for the interruption foks, you've been warned.

http://www.mariogavazzivintagewerks.com/

Thanks.

I easily could have changed my name but because I have no reason to
hide, don't.

The Freaks have done everyting but come to my shop to learn the
truth. They have even posted my none existant chriminal record,
worse speeding 45 in a 30 zone with out my license in my pocket on an
emergince run to the hospital.

Sorry I'm sure thats far more about me then you ever wanted to know.

It kills me how far some people go for attention.

no please back to sailing

You don't hide because you can't. Too late, skippy, facts are facts,
and we have your number.

"Meyer" wrote in message
You don't hide because you can't. Too late, skippy, facts are facts,
and we have your number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQ8UwWPP4Y

http://www.mariogavazzivintagewerks.com/

Can you say, RIP-OFF ARTIST! What an asshole Mario is.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:19:37 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

wrote

(A terrifying account)

Wow. It sounds like no one should be sailing on LI sound, including you. I
had no idea it was the Bermuda Triangle of the Northeast.

Please feel free to stay in your safe little fogbound lobster fields.

wrote:

wrote

(A terrifying account)

Wow. It sounds like no one should be sailing on LI sound, including you.
had no idea it was the Bermuda Triangle of the Northeast.

Please feel free to stay in your safe little fogbound lobster fields.

I don't know... lobster sounds pretty good....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

I don't know... lobster sounds pretty good....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

With mayo on a hotdog roll. Yummy.