Default hello

wrote in message
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01866121jLLXfR

Here it is in all its glory as it sits but come spring it will be back
in the water after 20 plus year sleep

Alot of the interior and such have been stored in side and is in very
good condition and most just needs a good cleaning.

it has Chrysler on the stern so if anyone knows anything about these
can give me any info I would be greatful

Mario

What is it? Looks like it's in decent, fixable shape.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:31:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01866121jLLXfR

Here it is in all its glory as it sits but come spring it will be back
in the water after 20 plus year sleep

Alot of the interior and such have been stored in side and is in very
good condition and most just needs a good cleaning.

it has Chrysler on the stern so if anyone knows anything about these
can give me any info I would be greatful

Mario

Chrysler has not been in the outboard business since 1984. If you can
get it to start and run it may be OK for a while, otherwise it will
need to have the carburetor rebuilt at the very least. It might be
cheaper to look for a used outboard in good running condition.

http://www.hurrikain.com/thechryslercrew/history.htm

Regarding the boat, virtually everything that moves will need to be
cleaned and lubricated. If you have a protected body of water nearby
try to get someone experienced to help you put things back together,
launch it, and check everything out. Get some day sailing
experience, working up to over nighters, before planning anything more
ambitious.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
wrote in message
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01866121jLLXfR

Here it is in all its glory as it sits but come spring it will be back
in the water after 20 plus year sleep

Alot of the interior and such have been stored in side and is in very
good condition and most just needs a good cleaning.

it has Chrysler on the stern so if anyone knows anything about these
can give me any info I would be greatful

Mario

What is it? Looks like it's in decent, fixable shape.

Sorry... dumb question. Says it right on the hull. LOL

I agree w/ Wayne.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

A fellow who works at the marina where my son was a dockboy this summer
bought one of those for $500. There's another on that appears to be
abandoned at my old marina. If you need spars or other such parts, I could
find out if it's being junked.

The rudder on the one at my marina was a very suspect looking design. It
was made to fold up which is unnecessary on a fin keel boat. I don't know
whether they built them that way or perhaps built a swing keel or
centerboard version and the original rudder was replaced with one of those.

Otherwise, I don't know much about these boats as I've only seen them from a
distance or from ground level hauled out.

It didn't strike me as the kind of boat you would want to get exposed to any
serious weather in though.

--
Roger Long

On Nov 23, 11:15�am, "Roger Long" wrote:
A fellow who works at the marina where my son was a dockboy this summer
bought one of those for $500. �There's another on that appears to be
abandoned at my old marina. �If you need spars or other such parts, I could
find out if it's being junked.

The rudder on the one at my marina was a very suspect looking design. �It
was made to fold up which is unnecessary on a fin keel boat. �I don't know
whether they built them that way or perhaps built a swing keel or
centerboard version and the original rudder was replaced with one of those.

Otherwise, I don't know much about these boats as I've only seen them from a
distance or from ground level hauled out.

It didn't strike me as the kind of boat you would want to get exposed to any
serious weather in though.

--
Roger Long

The keel on this cranks up almost all the way into the hull.

I traded off a VW beetle engine so it was a good deal.

As I said it wouls be nice to beable to sail this late spring to
florida or so, mabe onto the bahamas just for a nice vacation where
getting there will be half the fun.

did I mention I don't like seafood so getting the boat ready might be
easier then to get me to eat dinners along the way...lol

wrote

The keel on this cranks up almost all the way into the hull.

As I said it wouls be nice to beable to sail this late spring to
florida or so, mabe onto the bahamas just for a nice vacation where
getting there will be half the fun.

Here's how to get to the Florida and the Bahamas as quickly as possible with
this boat:

Forget about it.

There are lots of great places to sail in North Carolina. Focus on making
the boat sound and seaworthy. Do a lot of daysailing and short trips
working up to longer ones. Find out if this is really a life style that
appeals to you. Gradually challenge more severe conditions to find out what
the boat and you can handle without getting in over your head. Spend a
couple weeks aboard without reprovisioning.

You'll be much more likely to make it to the Bahamas that way instead of
abandoning the boat somewhere in between. More important, you'll be a lot
more likely to make it back.

--
Roger Long

On 2008-11-23 13:31:54 -0500, " said:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01866121jLLXfR

Here it is in all its glory as it sits but come spring it will be back
in the water after 20 plus year sleep

Alot of the interior and such have been stored in side and is in very
good condition and most just needs a good cleaning.

OMG, that means that in reality, it hasn't been broken in yet!

it has Chrysler on the stern so if anyone knows anything about these
can give me any info I would be greatful

My personal experience with the small (4-5hp) Chrysler I had, and the
stories I saw, prompt me to recommend that you dump it the fastest way
possible and get an outboard that will keep on running, particularly as
you're indicating long distances.

At the moment, my preference would be the 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke
high-thrust, extended leg. Hear very good things about it and that it's
better-supported in exotic locations than Honda (which I have and love,
except for the dearth of service locally). The next size up would give
you more reserve power, but be quite a bit heavier. For reference, we
have an inboard diesel of 16-20 hp (depending on which measure is
chosen), but cruise fairly quickly (5.5-6 knots) at a 5 hp throttle
setting. Oh, any 4-stroke will probably be too heavy for the existing
bracket.

If that's not your primary motive power, my recommendation stands but
for the size & prop.

--
Jere Lull

On Nov 23, 1:37�pm, Gordon wrote:
Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:54:48 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Oh, give it a rest with the survey crap, why don't you? �Why do you
recommend the abdication of personal responsibility with respect to
something he should easily be able to handle himself?

All it takes is to do a little reading and research. There is nothing on a
28-footer that an amateur cannot see and check for himself armed with some
basic knowledge and some small ability to think and analyze.

Professional surveys have their place but not on an older, basic 28-ft
sailboat. It's just not cost effective. The first step towards cruising
should be to know how to evaluate your purchase yourself. If you aren't up
to that simple task then stay ashore. You don't have what it takes.
=============================

Nonsense.

Agreed.

� �I think some of you missed what he said. This is a 22' Chrysler brand
sailboat, not a 28' anything.
� Gordon- Hide quoted text -

lol the original engine was already dumped for an evinrude 25 , but
its condition is unknown from the person I got it from.

where do I find sails for this?

As I said this has been on dry land for the last 22 yrs and seems to
be invery good shape, being that I restore cars for a living I feel I
should be able to do any and all work myself.

What is the things I sould be looking at before putting it in the
water. I don't see a single mark in the hull that would say there is
a problem there. The keel raises and lowers fine. the rudder looks a
little weathered and may need replacing. I'm good with wood and
thought about redoing the interior to my liking.

As I have said I have been around boat from row to standing on the
deck of a carrier but this is the 1st of this kind and I want to be
as knowledgeable as possible

My newest car is a 67 vw camper so I don't need all the bells and
whistles I'm just looking to feel the waves and wind of the open
waters ok and I want to see my wife sun bathing naked on the deck,
she is a hottie..