Default Coast Guard salvage plans

I just noticed this line in the article about the boat stuck on the Hattaras
beach:

"First, the Coast Guard must receive and approve a salvage plan from Clark
before he can proceed with any efforts."

A boat caught fire in my marina and sunk. It ended up in front of the pump
out station during the salvage efforts. The Coast Guard then refused to
allow the marina to untie the lines and move it back one boat length on the
dock until they filed a salvage plan. The application was over two inches
thick and required, insurance, bonding, survey, oil spill contingincy, etc..
etc., etc. The boat ended up blocking the pump out for two seasons while
this was sorted out.

Unless things are quite different down in that district, I think that boat
is going to be there a while. The Coast Guard probably doesn't want this
fellow at sea again so they'll just keep obstructing him until he hires a
crane (or a front end loader to pick up the pieces left after the next storm
if he doesn't move quickly).

--
Roger Long

Roger,

Reading between the lines suggests that those folks were attempting to
salvage the boat without a plan and blocked the pump. I'm sure the Coast
Guard will insist on a plan since they've already made a mess of it.

Dave M.

David L. Martel wrote:

Reading between the lines suggests that those folks were attempting
to salvage the boat without a plan and blocked the pump. I'm sure the
Coast Guard will insist on a plan since they've already made a mess
of it.

Actually, no. The fire department put out the fire and the marina put hose
aboard to start pumping out the water. The USCG guy said, "This boat is now
the subject of a USCG casualty investigation. You are not to go aboard."

The marina said, "But, it will sink by morning."

The USCG guy said, "This boat is now the subject of a USCG casualty
investigation. You are not to go aboard.", and left.

The next morning, the boat was on the bottom and diesel oil was leaking out.

The USCG showed up and made the usual noises about letting a boat sink,
pollution liability, etc. The boat was raised and the USCG guy said "Tie it
up there."

The marina said, "But, that's right in front of our pump out facility. How
about moving it back a bit?"

The USCG guy said "Tie it up there."

And, there it sat. At least, that's how I heard the story through a very
(very) short rumor chain. Actual details may vary slightly but, having
dealt with the USCG (mostly the inspections branch) I can easily believe
every word of it.

--
Roger Long

Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 20, 8:47*am, "Roger Long" wrote:
David L. Martel wrote:
[...]

We have a similar situation here Roger.

A new salvage company from florida tried to raise a 40 something
Hattaras that sunk during Ike. It floated over the dock than came down
on the prop/strut. Anyhow they had it up above water after 2 weeks on
the bottom and trying for many many days. The USCG showed up, made a
big show with a fleet of surbans, and pack of petty officers a
standing around with their hands in their pockets. They shut them down
for the same reason. The salvage outfit had a containment boom out
around the vessel. They left and the boat sunk again, within hours,
and again diesel fumes filled the salt marsh.

Never saw the USCG again.

It sat on bottom another couple of weeks leaking fuel and another
salvage team hired by the marina came and removed it in a few hours.
They had a 200 ft LCM and a groove cherry picker.

I would bet the USCG knows nothing about it's removal and will never
follow up. We have one more still sunk here but the owner is suing the
marina because of a weak pylon he reported before the storm. That
pylon came out and he ended up over the dock and coming down on top of
the dock as the surge left the area.

Now the part that I think he will win he lawsuit is because the
marina hired a salvage crew to remove his boat without his permission.
They tore off the top third of the mast and made a mess of his boat,
were un-albe to salvage her...then sent him a bill for 4 grand for the
attempt. It looks like that whole dock will be shut down until the
trial. The marina will lose the income of 30 slips un-able to be
rented.

-USCG- Catch 22 - SNAFU-

Joe
MMC MMC is offline

"Roger Long" wrote in message
David L. Martel wrote:

[...]

It was "pleasure" to work with the CG's "Marine Science Office" (MSO) a few
times when in the employ of an environmental compnay here in FL.
The MSO was staffed by a bunch of kids that had no clue about much at all
and there were absolutely no scientist around, but they were in charge of
spills.
The highlight of my experience with them was when a longline fishing boat
sank next to the sea wall in Port Canaveral due to the bilge pump losing
power (extension cord to battrery charger got unplugged) over a weekend.
It was/is an old, wooden 30 something footer worn out boat, but it did
provide a living for the owner and a crewman.
Anyways, we lifted it with a crane, used trash pumps once the gunnel was
clear and pump off the fuel tanks and afterwards the CG told us to "let it
sink". I wanted to put a fresh battery and charger on board to keep the
bilge pump going until the owner could get there and do what he needed to
do, but they said they weren't paying paying to salvage "some drunks boat".
I explained that the boat was all the guy had and it keep him and his family
off the welfare line- but that didn't matter. I guess their book was missing
the "human factor" chapter.
They were still there when the owner showed up but one of the other
fishermen kept him away until they left and the charger and battery got
installed. As far as I know he's still fishing.
Sometimes we just have to work around the "experts".

MMC MMC is offline

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Roger Long" wrote in message
David L. Martel wrote:

[...]

Should have added, I have nothing but respect for the CG's ability and
dedication for performing rescues of mariners in distress, but not so much
for stuff like Roger described.

Roger Long wrote:

[...]

I think if I ever get caught in such a situation I'd simply say, "Sure,
I'd be happy to comply, but first I need that order in writing".

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

The democracy will cease to exist when you
take away from those who are willing to work
and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson

Problems in the Coast Guard Jeff ASA 19 December 12th 06 11:45 PM
Changes to several Coast Guard broadcasts 6/15/05 Jere Lull Cruising 0 April 20th 05 06:40 AM
Coast Guard Nonsense Doug Kanter General 33 September 19th 04 08:26 PM
Coast Guard Boardings Aaron Cruising 10 February 17th 04 06:53 PM
Cdn. Coast Guard: Wow [email protected] General 2 July 18th 03 12:52 AM