MMC MMC is offline

Default Coast Guard salvage plans

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Roger Long" wrote in message
David L. Martel wrote:

Reading between the lines suggests that those folks were attempting
to salvage the boat without a plan and blocked the pump. I'm sure the
Coast Guard will insist on a plan since they've already made a mess
of it.

Actually, no. The fire department put out the fire and the marina put
hose aboard to start pumping out the water. The USCG guy said, "This
boat is now the subject of a USCG casualty investigation. You are not to
go aboard."

The marina said, "But, it will sink by morning."

The USCG guy said, "This boat is now the subject of a USCG casualty
investigation. You are not to go aboard.", and left.

The next morning, the boat was on the bottom and diesel oil was leaking
out.

The USCG showed up and made the usual noises about letting a boat sink,
pollution liability, etc. The boat was raised and the USCG guy said "Tie
it up there."

The marina said, "But, that's right in front of our pump out facility.
How about moving it back a bit?"

The USCG guy said "Tie it up there."

And, there it sat. At least, that's how I heard the story through a very
(very) short rumor chain. Actual details may vary slightly but, having
dealt with the USCG (mostly the inspections branch) I can easily believe
every word of it.

--
Roger Long

It was "pleasure" to work with the CG's "Marine Science Office" (MSO) a
few times when in the employ of an environmental compnay here in FL.
The MSO was staffed by a bunch of kids that had no clue about much at all
and there were absolutely no scientist around, but they were in charge of
spills.
The highlight of my experience with them was when a longline fishing boat
sank next to the sea wall in Port Canaveral due to the bilge pump losing
power (extension cord to battrery charger got unplugged) over a weekend.
It was/is an old, wooden 30 something footer worn out boat, but it did
provide a living for the owner and a crewman.
Anyways, we lifted it with a crane, used trash pumps once the gunnel was
clear and pump off the fuel tanks and afterwards the CG told us to "let it
sink". I wanted to put a fresh battery and charger on board to keep the
bilge pump going until the owner could get there and do what he needed to
do, but they said they weren't paying paying to salvage "some drunks
boat". I explained that the boat was all the guy had and it keep him and
his family off the welfare line- but that didn't matter. I guess their
book was missing the "human factor" chapter.
They were still there when the owner showed up but one of the other
fishermen kept him away until they left and the charger and battery got
installed. As far as I know he's still fishing.
Sometimes we just have to work around the "experts".

Should have added, I have nothing but respect for the CG's ability and
dedication for performing rescues of mariners in distress, but not so much
for stuff like Roger described.