cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Coast Guard salvage plans

Roger Long wrote:

I just noticed this line in the article about the boat stuck on the
Hattaras beach:

"First, the Coast Guard must receive and approve a salvage plan from
Clark before he can proceed with any efforts."

A boat caught fire in my marina and sunk. It ended up in front of the
pump out station during the salvage efforts. The Coast Guard then
refused to allow the marina to untie the lines and move it back one boat
length on the dock until they filed a salvage plan. The application was
over two inches thick and required, insurance, bonding, survey, oil
spill contingincy, etc.. etc., etc. The boat ended up blocking the pump
out for two seasons while this was sorted out.

Unless things are quite different down in that district, I think that
boat is going to be there a while. The Coast Guard probably doesn't
want this fellow at sea again so they'll just keep obstructing him until
he hires a crane (or a front end loader to pick up the pieces left after
the next storm if he doesn't move quickly).

I think if I ever get caught in such a situation I'd simply say, "Sure,
I'd be happy to comply, but first I need that order in writing".

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

The democracy will cease to exist when you
take away from those who are willing to work
and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson