Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Coast Guard salvage plans

David L. Martel wrote:

Reading between the lines suggests that those folks were attempting
to salvage the boat without a plan and blocked the pump. I'm sure the
Coast Guard will insist on a plan since they've already made a mess
of it.

Actually, no. The fire department put out the fire and the marina put hose
aboard to start pumping out the water. The USCG guy said, "This boat is now
the subject of a USCG casualty investigation. You are not to go aboard."

The marina said, "But, it will sink by morning."

The USCG guy said, "This boat is now the subject of a USCG casualty
investigation. You are not to go aboard.", and left.

The next morning, the boat was on the bottom and diesel oil was leaking out.

The USCG showed up and made the usual noises about letting a boat sink,
pollution liability, etc. The boat was raised and the USCG guy said "Tie it
up there."

The marina said, "But, that's right in front of our pump out facility. How
about moving it back a bit?"

The USCG guy said "Tie it up there."

And, there it sat. At least, that's how I heard the story through a very
(very) short rumor chain. Actual details may vary slightly but, having
dealt with the USCG (mostly the inspections branch) I can easily believe
every word of it.

--
Roger Long