Joe Joe is offline

Default Coast Guard salvage plans

On Nov 20, 8:47*am, "Roger Long" wrote:
David L. Martel wrote:
* Reading between the lines suggests that those folks were attempting
to salvage the boat without a plan and blocked the pump. I'm sure the
Coast Guard will insist on a plan since they've already made a mess
of it.

Actually, no. *The fire department put out the fire and the marina put hose
aboard to start pumping out the water. *The USCG guy said, "This boat is now
the subject of a USCG casualty investigation. *You are not to go aboard.."

The marina said, "But, it will sink by morning."

The USCG guy said, "This boat is now the subject of a USCG casualty
investigation. *You are not to go aboard.", and left.

The next morning, the boat was on the bottom and diesel oil was leaking out.

The USCG showed up and made the usual noises about letting a boat sink,
pollution liability, etc. *The boat was raised and the USCG guy said "Tie it
up there."

The marina said, "But, that's right in front of our pump out facility. *How
about moving it back a bit?"

The USCG guy said "Tie it up there."

And, there it sat. *At least, that's how I heard the story through a very
(very) short rumor chain. *Actual details may vary slightly but, having
dealt with the USCG (mostly the inspections branch) I can easily believe
every word of it.

--
Roger Long

We have a similar situation here Roger.

A new salvage company from florida tried to raise a 40 something
Hattaras that sunk during Ike. It floated over the dock than came down
on the prop/strut. Anyhow they had it up above water after 2 weeks on
the bottom and trying for many many days. The USCG showed up, made a
big show with a fleet of surbans, and pack of petty officers a
standing around with their hands in their pockets. They shut them down
for the same reason. The salvage outfit had a containment boom out
around the vessel. They left and the boat sunk again, within hours,
and again diesel fumes filled the salt marsh.

Never saw the USCG again.

It sat on bottom another couple of weeks leaking fuel and another
salvage team hired by the marina came and removed it in a few hours.
They had a 200 ft LCM and a groove cherry picker.

I would bet the USCG knows nothing about it's removal and will never
follow up. We have one more still sunk here but the owner is suing the
marina because of a weak pylon he reported before the storm. That
pylon came out and he ended up over the dock and coming down on top of
the dock as the surge left the area.

Now the part that I think he will win he lawsuit is because the
marina hired a salvage crew to remove his boat without his permission.
They tore off the top third of the mast and made a mess of his boat,
were un-albe to salvage her...then sent him a bill for 4 grand for the
attempt. It looks like that whole dock will be shut down until the
trial. The marina will lose the income of 30 slips un-able to be
rented.

-USCG- Catch 22 - SNAFU-

Joe