posted to rec.boats.building

Default mounting radar under Solar panels

I'm pondering where to place the radar on my catamaran. I'm building a
radar arch to support solar panels, and was thinking of mounting the
radar scanner under the panels to avoid shading them.

The only problem I have is that the arch will be build with carbon
fiber tubing (ex-windsurfer masts). Anybody know how much radar
blockage carbon tubes about 2" diameter, perhaps 6' from the scanner
might produce? Its a JRC 1500 with a 5.2° horizontal beam width.

Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse writes:

I'm pondering where to place the radar on my catamaran. I'm building a
radar arch to support solar panels, and was thinking of mounting the
radar scanner under the panels to avoid shading them.

The only problem I have is that the arch will be build with carbon
fiber tubing (ex-windsurfer masts). Anybody know how much radar
blockage carbon tubes about 2" diameter, perhaps 6' from the scanner
might produce? Its a JRC 1500 with a 5.2° horizontal beam width.

Evan Gatehouse

Quick and dirty: As much as metal tubing. Don't count on seeing
anything useful in that direction.

Longer: It depends. How close to the antenna will those tubes be?
What frequency? etc...

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 06:04:34 GMT, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

I'm pondering where to place the radar on my catamaran. I'm building a
radar arch to support solar panels, and was thinking of mounting the
radar scanner under the panels to avoid shading them.

The only problem I have is that the arch will be build with carbon
fiber tubing (ex-windsurfer masts). Anybody know how much radar
blockage carbon tubes about 2" diameter, perhaps 6' from the scanner
might produce? Its a JRC 1500 with a 5.2° horizontal beam width.

Evan Gatehouse

Aluminum tube would be worst-case. 2 inch at 72 inch is under 2
degrees of aperture, and that might account for 2 dB of loss
of transmit power with a much greater hole in the return (there's a
fifth power in there...)

But carbon fiber is in an insulating matrix, and would account for
less of a loss. The location wouldf work for me.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
posted to rec.boats.building

Why not act a little grown up and run at 3/4 throttle for most of your ride.
Save's fuel, wear and tear on the engines drives and you. The people around
you may also like you a little more.

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message

I'm pondering where to place the radar on my catamaran. I'm building a
radar arch to support solar panels, and was thinking of mounting the radar
scanner under the panels to avoid shading them.

The only problem I have is that the arch will be build with carbon fiber
tubing (ex-windsurfer masts). Anybody know how much radar blockage carbon
tubes about 2" diameter, perhaps 6' from the scanner might produce? Its a
JRC 1500 with a 5.2° horizontal beam width.

Evan Gatehouse

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Aug 12, 9:37 am, "John Cassara" wrote:
Why not act a little grown up and run at 3/4 throttle for most of your ride.
Save's fuel, wear and tear on the engines drives and you. The people around
you may also like you a little more.

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message

I'm pondering where to place the radar on my catamaran. I'm building a
radar arch to support solar panels, and was thinking of mounting the radar
scanner under the panels to avoid shading them.

The only problem I have is that the arch will be build with carbon fiber
tubing (ex-windsurfer masts). Anybody know how much radar blockage carbon
tubes about 2" diameter, perhaps 6' from the scanner might produce? Its a
JRC 1500 with a 5.2° horizontal beam width.

Evan Gatehouse- Hide quoted text -

Wow, two identical posts in two threads. What happened? Someone get
you with a rooster tail this weekend? Out boating where you should not
have been? Something has obviously gotten you going :O

Solar panels Gary Cruising 34 August 5th 06 03:43 AM
Solar panels Lee Haefele Cruising 0 July 1st 06 12:19 PM
Need the scoop on Solar Panels [email protected] Cruising 9 December 4th 05 01:09 AM
solar panels just me Cruising 1 October 21st 05 11:23 PM
Solar Panels Hmseconomy Cruising 14 November 25th 03 08:05 PM