posted to rec.boats.building
Martin Schöön Martin Schöön is offline

Default mounting radar under Solar panels

Evan Gatehouse writes:

I'm pondering where to place the radar on my catamaran. I'm building a
radar arch to support solar panels, and was thinking of mounting the
radar scanner under the panels to avoid shading them.

The only problem I have is that the arch will be build with carbon
fiber tubing (ex-windsurfer masts). Anybody know how much radar
blockage carbon tubes about 2" diameter, perhaps 6' from the scanner
might produce? Its a JRC 1500 with a 5.2° horizontal beam width.

Evan Gatehouse

Quick and dirty: As much as metal tubing. Don't count on seeing
anything useful in that direction.

Longer: It depends. How close to the antenna will those tubes be?
What frequency? etc...

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."