Default Need the scoop on Solar Panels

I have been told several time now to wait on the new tech solar panels,
anyone really know what this is all about? When?

WOW,,,,,your into it,,, but just looking for panels to put on the boat.
BTW a new wind generator will soon be out for home use .

Larry

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Canada tire has a kit for 800 loons, I think
2 KW output?

You boys need to see how the professionals do it for nearly free....

http://www.otherpower.com/

The magnets are SO strong and the coil pancakes SO efficient, they hardly
have to be near each other before they'll stall 32' spruce blades!
Simply amazing technology when you realize its all home made out of an
old car brake disc and wheel bearing....very slow turning....no
gears....nothing high-speed to wear out....be afraid of termites,
though...(c;

Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:05:12 -0500, Larry wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote in
m:

Canada tire has a kit for 800 loons, I think
2 KW output?

You boys need to see how the professionals do it for nearly free....

http://www.otherpower.com/

The magnets are SO strong and the coil pancakes SO efficient, they hardly
have to be near each other before they'll stall 32' spruce blades!
Simply amazing technology when you realize its all home made out of an
old car brake disc and wheel bearing....very slow turning....no
gears....nothing high-speed to wear out....be afraid of termites,
though...(c;

GREAT URL! Thanks for posting it

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
krj

Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:05:12 -0500, Larry wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Canada tire has a kit for 800 loons, I think
2 KW output?

You boys need to see how the professionals do it for nearly free....

http://www.otherpower.com/

The magnets are SO strong and the coil pancakes SO efficient, they hardly
have to be near each other before they'll stall 32' spruce blades!
Simply amazing technology when you realize its all home made out of an
old car brake disc and wheel bearing....very slow turning....no
gears....nothing high-speed to wear out....be afraid of termites,
though...(c;

GREAT URL! Thanks for posting it

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

And where, on a 37' sail boat, am I going to mount a generator with 17'
blades and an 8.5' tail?
krj
Larry

krj wrote in news:XX_jf.41614$Y82.8182
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

And where, on a 37' sail boat, am I going to mount a generator with

17'
blades and an 8.5' tail?
krj

Same place as you're going to mount 5KW of solar panels....NOT.

But, alas, how about doubling the number of blades that are shorter but
produce the same HP? It's run faster, which makes little difference when
you're simply spinning magnets....up to the point where centrifugal force
spins them off, of course. Going faster means you'll need less poles, I
suppose.

Their design isn't cast in concrete. If you read the article, you'll
find one they made for the kids in school powered by one hamster in his
wheel lighting his home quite nicely. Every time they make a new one,
it's all different and is finalized the old-fashioned
way...experimentation until it works. A boat genset would be similarly
designed.

What about stealing Jacques Cousteau's design and driving this flat
alternator with a vertically spinning cylinder on the stern as high as
the mast? For as much power as comes off the average mizzen on a
cruising ketch, I'd be tempted to say to hell with the mizzen and put
this vertically spinning powerplant right where the mizzen mast base used
to be.

Then, there's the possibility of a water-driven alternator like these
boys make on a long shaft behind the stern. Large, slow-turning prop
trading boat speed for DC power turning at very low RPM on this type of
homebrew alternator sounds also like a valid idea.

No imagination?? That would be sad, indeed.

News f2s

"Larry" wrote in message
krj wrote in news:XX_jf.41614$Y82.8182
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Nice post, I like your point about using imagination. So, sorry
about this nit pick:

But, alas, how about doubling the number of blades that are
shorter but
produce the same HP?

Sadly, the aerodynamics don't quite work that way. The maximum HP
you can get out of a windmill at a given air speed depends on the
swept area. The actual HP you get out of the area depends on the
efficiency with which you sweep it. With current best blade design
the greatest efficiency comes from three bladed props. If you
reduce the swept area it's most unlikely you can restore the HP
with more blades.

JimB

Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:53:29 -0500, krj
wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:05:12 -0500, Larry wrote:

//
You boys need to see how the professionals do it for nearly free....

http://www.otherpower.com/

///
GREAT URL! Thanks for posting it

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

And where, on a 37' sail boat, am I going to mount a generator with 17'
blades and an 8.5' tail?
krj

The windmill in question has a 17ft diameter. How long does that
make the blades? 8 ft?

I've seen some self-steer gear not much smaller....

Brian Whatcott

The Solar Panel Simulator! Larry Cruising 15 March 20th 06 12:48 AM
The Solar Panel Simulator! Larry Electronics 15 March 20th 06 12:48 AM
Beneteau sugar scoop. Capt. Neal® ASA 1 November 14th 05 05:41 PM
solar panels just me Cruising 1 October 21st 05 11:23 PM
Water generator or Solar power questions Len Cruising 0 October 20th 05 10:41 PM