posted to rec.boats.building

Default Intersted in building a tri using hobie cat hulls

I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this link
http://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

On Jul 25, 2:34 pm, volleybiggs wrote:
I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this linkhttp://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

Use two oil barrels to make a center hull. Encapsulate the barrels in
a pipe made from long planks champhered to make a pipe, bound up in
steel strapping. Leave space in the centre for a cockpit, wet, of
course. You will want a conical nose cone and could leave a boarding
platform aft.

I made a float similarly, and it seems doable and cheap. Might be a
fun boat.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats.building
us us is offline

"volleybiggs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this link
http://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

That is a quite trimaran.
Not sure if it uses the Hobie hulls or not, as the page came up in a non
English language, so I was lost.
I have had 4 trimarans so far.
Present is a Farrier 680 folding tri.
I will never go back to any other design, unless I decide to do some deep
water sailing.
At my age, I can not demount or lift the outer hulls anymore.
If I lived on a harbor somewhere, a non folding would be nice.
But if I had to pay mooring fees, not so nice.
No one boat fits everyone.
I assume you have googled for any ideas.
Tremolo is about the only tri I know of that had success with Hobie hulls.
Good luck, a trimaran is a very neat boat.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:30:17 -0500, "us" wrote stuff
and I replied:

Could you not use a small trailer winch setup to do that?

At my age, I can not demount or lift the outer hulls anymore.

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain
posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:34:42 -0700, volleybiggs
wrote stuff
and I replied:

Just one comment. Thump the deck a good one in a few places with your
bunched hand. It should be stiff and strong. If it's not stiff then
the core has failed. If you find any soft (or "springy") spots, thump
around them a bit to see if the collapse spreads. in some cases you
can hear the foam crunching.

I have a (non free : ) H18 and the foam in the decks has collapsed
completely.

Up to a point it is repairable by epoxy injection. My case probably
requires a new deck.

I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this link
http://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Jul 25, 1:34 pm, volleybiggs wrote:
I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this linkhttp://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

Build a simple plywood dory style hull for the middle. Another thought
I just had was to have the side hulls forward or backward as opposed
to folding up. Would make the hull longer on the trailer, but easier
to set up, maybe?? Anyway, go ahead and beat it up guys.

volleybiggs writes:

I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this link
http://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

That looks like the Kelsall Typhoon to me. It was based on
Tornado parts plus a new, third hull. I think Kelsall may
have designed something similar based on the H18.

Dick Newick did a lovely little trimaran based on the H16.

A friend of mine once built a 30' trimaran as a quick-and-
dirty project. The side hulls were lengthened A-cat hulls and
the middle hull was a scaled up Tornado hull with small
cabin. It was ugly and leaky but he cruised more with it
than I have done in my boat.

Somewhere on the Internet you may still find the Austrian guy
and his girlfriend who converted a Soling into a camper
trimaran.

So, in conclusion, you can have quite some fun creating
something new out of what you have plus some imagination
and time.

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."
posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:34:42 -0700, volleybiggs
wrote stuff
and I replied:

Ylou have had some replies. Any thoughts?

I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this link
http://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain
posted to rec.boats.building

and I replied:

Ylou have had some replies. Any thoughts?

Well actually I went and looked at and it turns out it was not a 18
foot hobie. It is a catamaran but it is 14 or 16 foot long. I am not
sure of the brand but the hulls and the part that connects are all one
piece. You know you dont take that metal tube piece off like the
hobies to seperate everything. The hulls are red and the part that
connects is red as well. He said it was a solcat but I did not see
anywhere on the net a solcat that looked like this.It is free but it
does not come with a trailer but I have a trialer. I am not sure if it
is worth the trouble. Finding a sail for an old catamaran can not be
easy. It looks fast and fun but without a sail it is just something to
clutter up my back yard to. ha ha ha

This fellow is a bit of pack rack and his wife told him he had to get
rid of 4 of his 6 old windsufers, the cat, and a 24 foot sailboat
that was gone before I got there. I am into windsurfing so I took
the windsurfers off his hands.

I saw this boat on the net called The Hoot. I will probably post a
question as to if it will work or not but he gave me this huge bic
board 12 or 14 feet long can float 2 adults easily. So I thought about
adding wings making a mast holder for it and rigging this up. Mainly
for my friends who can not windsurf.
this is alink to my idea
http://www.gohoot.com/gallery.html
Any thoughts?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:58:43 -0700, volleybiggs
wrote stuff
and I replied:

It does sound like a clutter risk. Not easy to use as part of
somethong else. You could probably pick up a sial and mast for some
toerh 14 cat and use that for a reasonable sale.

Windsurfers I do not know about.