posted to rec.boats.building
Martin Schöön Martin Schöön is offline

Default Intersted in building a tri using hobie cat hulls

volleybiggs writes:

I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this link
http://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

That looks like the Kelsall Typhoon to me. It was based on
Tornado parts plus a new, third hull. I think Kelsall may
have designed something similar based on the H18.

Dick Newick did a lovely little trimaran based on the H16.

A friend of mine once built a 30' trimaran as a quick-and-
dirty project. The side hulls were lengthened A-cat hulls and
the middle hull was a scaled up Tornado hull with small
cabin. It was ugly and leaky but he cruised more with it
than I have done in my boat.

Somewhere on the Internet you may still find the Austrian guy
and his girlfriend who converted a Soling into a camper
trimaran.

So, in conclusion, you can have quite some fun creating
something new out of what you have plus some imagination
and time.

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."