posted to rec.boats.building
Terry K Terry K is offline

Default Intersted in building a tri using hobie cat hulls

On Jul 25, 2:34 pm, volleybiggs wrote:
I have a free hobie 18 foot cat without sails but with mast boom. The
Tramp would need to be replaced. The hulls are solid. I have been
trying to come with ideas with what to do with it.
I built a puddle duck racer and thought of making a trimaran using the
hobie cat hulls.
This looks like something fun to make at this linkhttp://www.nauticaltrek.com/images/tri_kersall_2.jpg
Does anyone have any cool ideas to do with the hobie cat hulls?

Use two oil barrels to make a center hull. Encapsulate the barrels in
a pipe made from long planks champhered to make a pipe, bound up in
steel strapping. Leave space in the centre for a cockpit, wet, of
course. You will want a conical nose cone and could leave a boarding
platform aft.

I made a float similarly, and it seems doable and cheap. Might be a
fun boat.

Terry K