posted to rec.boats.building

Default Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy?

I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside ] of the
tank with a coat or two of epoxy to inhibit future corrosion
possibilities...?"

Is there any value to this logic or - like stainless steel - does
aluminum require the presence and circulation of air for corrosion
protection? that is, would coating the tank with epoxy actually
*inhibit* corrosion protection...?

If epoxy coating does make sense, does the aluminum require any
preparation?

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

posted to rec.boats.building

Epoxy on its own will not bond well to the aluminum. It can separate and
trap water against the tank.

I had Ezell Industries in Perry, Fl make my tanks. They strongly
recommended painting them and gave me some specific instructions. Blast
with glass beads and wipe down with acetone. Then as soon as the acetone
dries spray on an acid etch. Within 24 hours prime with a coat of epoxy
based zinc chromate and top coat with 2 part LPU.

When mounting support the tank on strips and blocks of UHMW or other
non-absorbent material so that there is at least half inch of air space
around the bottom and sides and no places for water to get trapped.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

ups.com...