posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default What to put on Epoxy for UV protection?

I will do some repairs with epoxy (*), which will be exposed to the sun
all the time.
What should I put on that for UV protection?

Currently the alternatives are

Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss
("High build, hard varnish like finish without sanding between coats.
High gloss beauty with outstanding U.V. protection for Teak and other
oily hardwoods.")

or

Epifanes Clear Varnish
("World Famous, highest quality marine spar varnish. Manufactured with
tung oil, U.V. filters, phenol and alkyd resins for superior
protection.")

Suitable? Or something completely different?

And, another related question:
Is it a good idea to cover teak with epoxy first and then varnish?
Will this hold better / last longer than just varnish?

And, yet another:
Does the West Epoxy 105/207 set tack-free, or does it stay sticky?
If sticky, can I varnish it over to enable the (anaerobic) curing?

Thanks!!

(*) after you all voted against polyester...

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

News f2s wrote:

And all this time I've been putting six coats of varnish on (after
degreasing with acetone), then touching up every 2 years with a
coat or two of varnish, then scraping and re-varnishing completely
every six years or so.

How long did your epoxy last?

Had it for a couple of years before selling boat.

Still had active maintenance consisting of maintaining the varnish to
keep the epoxy protected, but it was minor compared to other methods.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Have you coated wood surfaces with epoxy and hope for a bright varnish
finish?
If so, there are several good marine varnishes that will do that- brands
like Epifanes, Z-Spar Interlux Schooner and the West Marine house brand.
If you expect it to last, apply six coats, then 1-2 per year thereafter.
Otherwise paint it with oil-based porch&deck enamel, after a suitable oil
primer.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

"News f2s" writes:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
wrote:

And, another related question:
Is it a good idea to cover teak with epoxy first and then
varnish?
Will this hold better / last longer than just varnish?

1) Apply several coats of epoxy, sanding between coats making
sure you TOTALLY seal the teak.

2) Apply several coats of your favorite "sheep dip" that has UV
inhibitors, again sanding between coats.

The "sheep dip protects the epoxy, the epoxy protects the teak.

And all this time I've been putting six coats of varnish on (after
degreasing with acetone), then touching up every 2 years with a
coat or two of varnish, then scraping and re-varnishing completely
every six years or so.

How long did your epoxy last?

My boat:
http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/
is 20 years old now.

The epoxy covered with 'clear' varnish is showing the age. Well,
what really seems to happen is that the wood underneath is getting
affected by the sun and eventually the wood-epoxy inteface fails.

Where I have paint on the epoxy there is no degradation as far as
I know.

--
Martin Schöön

"Problems worthy of attack