posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Jim Conlin Jim Conlin is offline

Default What to put on Epoxy for UV protection?

Have you coated wood surfaces with epoxy and hope for a bright varnish
finish?
If so, there are several good marine varnishes that will do that- brands
like Epifanes, Z-Spar Interlux Schooner and the West Marine house brand.
If you expect it to last, apply six coats, then 1-2 per year thereafter.
Otherwise paint it with oil-based porch&deck enamel, after a suitable oil
primer.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I will do some repairs with epoxy (*), which will be exposed to the sun
all the time.
What should I put on that for UV protection?

Currently the alternatives are

Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss
("High build, hard varnish like finish without sanding between coats.
High gloss beauty with outstanding U.V. protection for Teak and other
oily hardwoods.")

or

Epifanes Clear Varnish
("World Famous, highest quality marine spar varnish. Manufactured with
tung oil, U.V. filters, phenol and alkyd resins for superior
protection.")

Suitable? Or something completely different?

And, another related question:
Is it a good idea to cover teak with epoxy first and then varnish?
Will this hold better / last longer than just varnish?

And, yet another:
Does the West Epoxy 105/207 set tack-free, or does it stay sticky?
If sticky, can I varnish it over to enable the (anaerobic) curing?

Thanks!!

(*) after you all voted against polyester...