posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Schöön Martin Schöön Martin is offline

Default What to put on Epoxy for UV protection?

"News f2s" writes:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
wrote:

And, another related question:
Is it a good idea to cover teak with epoxy first and then
varnish?
Will this hold better / last longer than just varnish?

1) Apply several coats of epoxy, sanding between coats making
sure you TOTALLY seal the teak.

2) Apply several coats of your favorite "sheep dip" that has UV
inhibitors, again sanding between coats.

The "sheep dip protects the epoxy, the epoxy protects the teak.

And all this time I've been putting six coats of varnish on (after
degreasing with acetone), then touching up every 2 years with a
coat or two of varnish, then scraping and re-varnishing completely
every six years or so.

How long did your epoxy last?

My boat:
http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/
is 20 years old now.

The epoxy covered with 'clear' varnish is showing the age. Well,
what really seems to happen is that the wood underneath is getting
affected by the sun and eventually the wood-epoxy inteface fails.

Where I have paint on the epoxy there is no degradation as far as
I know.

--
Martin Schöön

"Problems worthy of attack