posted to rec.boats.building
Don Dando Don Dando is offline

Default Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy?

I'd be inclined to think that an epoxy coated tank might have it's own set
of problems. Just one minor nick and water gets in between the epoxy and
the tank and corrosion begins.

I'd try to position the bare tank where it can get as much air circulation
as possible, unless the air is salt air, in which case I've got no opinion,
I'm a fresh water lake boater!..

Don Dando

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote:

I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside ] of the
tank with a coat or two of epoxy to inhibit future corrosion
possibilities...?"

Is there any value to this logic or - like stainless steel - does
aluminum require the presence and circulation of air for corrosion
protection? that is, would coating the tank with epoxy actually
*inhibit* corrosion protection...?

If epoxy coating does make sense, does the aluminum require any
preparation?

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

my customers coat their aluminum tanks with epoxy often. However, what
kind of epoxy? Regular boatbuilding epoxy is rather brittle - perhaps
too brittle for a flexing fuel tank. You might consider a more flexible
epoxy and/or a flexing agent in your epoxy

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com