BoatBanter.com

-   -   Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/76445-aluminum-corrosion-protection-epoxy.html)

[email protected] December 7th 06 01:17 AM

Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy?

I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside :) ] of the
tank with a coat or two of epoxy to inhibit future corrosion
possibilities...?"

Is there any value to this logic or - like stainless steel - does
aluminum require the presence and circulation of air for corrosion
protection? that is, would coating the tank with epoxy actually
*inhibit* corrosion protection...?

If epoxy coating does make sense, does the aluminum require any
preparation?

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Paul Oman December 7th 06 11:35 PM

wrote:

I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside :) ] of the
tank with a coat or two of epoxy to inhibit future corrosion
possibilities...?"

Is there any value to this logic or - like stainless steel - does
aluminum require the presence and circulation of air for corrosion
protection? that is, would coating the tank with epoxy actually
*inhibit* corrosion protection...?

If epoxy coating does make sense, does the aluminum require any
preparation?

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

my customers coat their aluminum tanks with epoxy often. However, what
kind of epoxy? Regular boatbuilding epoxy is rather brittle - perhaps
too brittle for a flexing fuel tank. You might consider a more flexible
epoxy and/or a flexing agent in your epoxy

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com

Lew Hodgett December 8th 06 02:30 AM

wrote:

I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside :) ] of the
tank with a coat or two of epoxy to inhibit future corrosion
possibilities...?"

Talk to ProLine.

High build primer may work.

Lew

Don Dando December 8th 06 04:29 AM

Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy?

I'd be inclined to think that an epoxy coated tank might have it's own set
of problems. Just one minor nick and water gets in between the epoxy and
the tank and corrosion begins.

I'd try to position the bare tank where it can get as much air circulation
as possible, unless the air is salt air, in which case I've got no opinion,
I'm a fresh water lake boater!..

Don Dando

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
ink.net...

Bob December 8th 06 05:41 AM

wrote:
I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside
Mike Worrall

Do Al fuel tanks make holes from the inside out or from the outside in?

If follow "best practices" to install I think the more pressing problme
is keeping the inards from rustin through to the outside. In other
words, look around your marina. See any Al boats without paint? See any
bare Al masts? Hum, I wonder why the USCG 47' life boats are bare above
the WL?

I have to agree wit the other poster. Might start a hole nother set of
problems by slapping on epoxy. My vote.............. go Brazilian
(.) (.)

Bob

Glenn Ashmore December 8th 06 01:07 PM

Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy?

Epoxy on its own will not bond well to the aluminum. It can separate and
trap water against the tank.

I had Ezell Industries in Perry, Fl make my tanks. They strongly
recommended painting them and gave me some specific instructions. Blast
with glass beads and wipe down with acetone. Then as soon as the acetone
dries spray on an acid etch. Within 24 hours prime with a coat of epoxy
based zinc chromate and top coat with 2 part LPU.

When mounting support the tank on strips and blocks of UHMW or other
non-absorbent material so that there is at least half inch of air space
around the bottom and sides and no places for water to get trapped.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

ups.com...