posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman Paul Oman is offline

Default Aluminum: Corrosion Protection with Epoxy?

wrote:

I'm about to install a new aluminum diesel fuel tank. I've also got
gallons of epoxy... "humm maybe I could coat the [outside ] of the
tank with a coat or two of epoxy to inhibit future corrosion
possibilities...?"

Is there any value to this logic or - like stainless steel - does
aluminum require the presence and circulation of air for corrosion
protection? that is, would coating the tank with epoxy actually
*inhibit* corrosion protection...?

If epoxy coating does make sense, does the aluminum require any
preparation?

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

my customers coat their aluminum tanks with epoxy often. However, what
kind of epoxy? Regular boatbuilding epoxy is rather brittle - perhaps
too brittle for a flexing fuel tank. You might consider a more flexible
epoxy and/or a flexing agent in your epoxy

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com