WCD

Default OT - Outboard motors in a steel drum?

Not really related to boatbuilding, but I've often seen boat shops with
a 55 gallon drum filled with water to run outboard motors in. Why is
this done?

Is it maybe better for the motor to run with some load on the propeller?

Don't want to mess up my new motor!
Steve

The outboard needs cooling water as well as a load on the prop. A OB owner
or mechanic can't properly test or adjust an outboard without running it in
water.

Those clamp on muffs will provide cooling water but leave a hell of a mess
around the test stand. The smaller or dingy outboards don't receive the
muffs very well..

It is also strongly recommended after operation in salt water to flush the
system and stop corrosion.

I keep a plastic barrel at home to run my dingy outboard between uses.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

JAXAshby

The outboard needs cooling water as well as a load on the prop

a prop in a barrel doesn't put a good load on the engine, though it does put
some load on it. There used to be -- and I assume still are -- special test
props to load up an engine in a tank.

But yeah, the engine has to have water to run. Running them out of water for
even a short time can ruin the rubber water pump impeller.
Brian Whatcott

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:40:18 -0500, WCD
wrote:

Not really related to boatbuilding, but I've often seen boat shops with
a 55 gallon drum filled with water to run outboard motors in. Why is
this done?

Is it maybe better for the motor to run with some load on the propeller?

Don't want to mess up my new motor!

Yes, loading and cooling are the issues.

Brian W

Old Nick

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:40:18 -0500, WCD
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I think it's cooler, quieter and less messy to run them like this.

Just one hint. Don't rev a slightly larger (20HP plus) OB in a 44
gallon drum with the gears engaged!! It suddenly become _very_ messy!

DAMHIKT

Not really related to boatbuilding, but I've often seen boat shops with
a 55 gallon drum filled with water to run outboard motors in. Why is
this done?

Is it maybe better for the motor to run with some load on the propeller?

Don't want to mess up my new motor!

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?
Ron Magen

They used to have a large, shielded opening, tank - about the size of 2 to 3
55-gal drums.

The use of a single 55-gal drum is a cheap expedient . . . more for the
'occasional user than the 'Pro'. Typically, it's just for starting, and to
make sure the water pump is working . . . all this with the smaller motors,
I'd say 9.9 and under. I've run a 6hp extra long shaft, hanging on the
motor mount of a sailboat, in a half-filled 30 gallon plastic trash can. The
idea is to keep the water above the intake port.

There are flat, 'flywheels' available to replace the prop, when 'static
running' above a fast idle. Usually this is required when some test,
diagnosis, or setting needs to be done 'under load'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop