Ron Magen

Default OT - Outboard motors in a steel drum?

They used to have a large, shielded opening, tank - about the size of 2 to 3
55-gal drums.

The use of a single 55-gal drum is a cheap expedient . . . more for the
'occasional user than the 'Pro'. Typically, it's just for starting, and to
make sure the water pump is working . . . all this with the smaller motors,
I'd say 9.9 and under. I've run a 6hp extra long shaft, hanging on the
motor mount of a sailboat, in a half-filled 30 gallon plastic trash can. The
idea is to keep the water above the intake port.

There are flat, 'flywheels' available to replace the prop, when 'static
running' above a fast idle. Usually this is required when some test,
diagnosis, or setting needs to be done 'under load'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Old Nick" wrote in message

I think it's cooler, quieter and less messy to run them like this.

Just one hint. Don't rev a slightly larger (20HP plus) OB in a 44
gallon drum with the gears engaged!! It suddenly become _very_ messy!

DAMHIKT

Not really related to boatbuilding, but I've often seen boat shops with
a 55 gallon drum filled with water to run outboard motors in. Why is
this done?

Is it maybe better for the motor to run with some load on the propeller?

Don't want to mess up my new motor!