john m.

Default Outboard thrust bearing for sailboat.

I have a Scampi 30 sailboat. The shaft has a thrust bearing behing the
propeller that is made out of some kinda oil impregnated plastic. This
is wide open to the outside. I want to replace this friction bearing
with a thrust roller bearing. I am thinking that I should get an
encapsulated stainless bearing but I cant find such an animal. Can
somebody point me in the right direction, or tell me if this is a good
idea.. Thank You
Steve

To me, this is a bit confusing??

Does your boat have an inboard engine with a propellor shaft?? or are you
talking about an Outboard motor or Out drive??

A properly installed marine engine will have the thrust bearing in the
reduction/reverse gear. If it is an OB or Out Drive, the thrust bearing is
inside the lower unit. I've never heard of a thrust bearing at the
propellor. There should only be a water lubricated cutlass bearing.

Please provide more information on what you have, engine/rev. gear, etc. and
maybe we can figure a solution.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Matt Colie

John,
The only Scampi I have ever been real close to had a Farrimann diesel
hoooked to a Standadyne (I think) hydraulic drive. The actual thrust
bearing on that is inside the hydraulic motor.

The prop shaft bearing had worn and the owner got another bearing
somewhere and since he could not upull the original out without
completely disassembling the drive motor, he just pushed it in with the
new bearing.

Matt Colie

john m. wrote:

I have a Scampi 30 sailboat. The shaft has a thrust bearing behing the
propeller that is made out of some kinda oil impregnated plastic. This
is wide open to the outside. I want to replace this friction bearing
with a thrust roller bearing. I am thinking that I should get an
encapsulated stainless bearing but I cant find such an animal. Can
somebody point me in the right direction, or tell me if this is a good
idea.. Thank You

john m.

"Steve" wrote in message ...
To me, this is a bit confusing??

Does your boat have an inboard engine with a propellor shaft?? or are you
talking about an Outboard motor or Out drive??

A properly installed marine engine will have the thrust bearing in the
reduction/reverse gear. If it is an OB or Out Drive, the thrust bearing is
inside the lower unit. I've never heard of a thrust bearing at the
propellor. There should only be a water lubricated cutlass bearing.

Please provide more information on what you have, engine/rev. gear, etc. and
maybe we can figure a solution.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Here is a link that shows a diagram of the boat
http://home.worldonline.dk/sejler/scampi/scampi.htm
This boat has an hydraulic drive system. The brace that you see in
front of the impeller is where the bearing should be ( I think) It
looks like a very strong support made out of metal and imbedded in the
fiberglass.

Stephen Baker

john m says:

This boat has an hydraulic drive system.

Probably just a hydraulic gearbox, from the looks of things...

The brace that you see in
front of the impeller is where the bearing should be ( I think) It
looks like a very strong support made out of metal and imbedded in the
fiberglass.

THat would be called the strut, and the bearing in it is just a cutlass
bearing, Rubber in a metal tube. It is supposed to be like that, as it's only
job is to support the shaft. The actual thrust bearing is inside the boat,
usually either just aft of the transmission, or integral to the tranny.

Steve
Steve

From what I see of your drawing, the fitting your discribe forward of the
prop is a standard strut.. I doubt that your strut installation is made to
take the full thrust of the propellor..

I agree with Matt.
Conventions would have the thrust bearing in the hydrolic pump and only a
cutlass bearing in the strut.

I suspect someone has tried to 'Improve' the installation.. Or the hydraulic
motor has a bad thrust bearing.

If in doubt, contact the manufacture of the hydraulic motor and determine if
the the motor has a thrust bearing in it.. If so then you need to verify
that it is in good condition and leave the one you found out of the
installation..

Or there is another possibility, that the original builders hydraulic motor
went bad and some one put a conventional/industrial replacement in it's
place. In this instance the industrial motor most likely wouldn't have a
thrust bearing.

Just my speculation, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

john m.

Brian Whatcott wrote in message . ..
Why do you want to replace it?

Brian W

Less friction. I want all the energy of the 12hp diesel engine to go to the prop.
john m.

Thank you guys for the replies.
There is one problem. The propeller shaft has a roller chain coupling
that connects it to the hydraulic drive. I think that this type of
coupling does not take any axial load too well. The only place left to
take the axial load is the strut in front of the impeller. When I look
at the plastic washer I can see where the axial load eats away at the
plastic thrust washer. That is why I was thinking to replace the
plastic thrust washer with something more robust.