Matt Colie

Default Outboard thrust bearing for sailboat.

John,
The only Scampi I have ever been real close to had a Farrimann diesel
hoooked to a Standadyne (I think) hydraulic drive. The actual thrust
bearing on that is inside the hydraulic motor.

The prop shaft bearing had worn and the owner got another bearing
somewhere and since he could not upull the original out without
completely disassembling the drive motor, he just pushed it in with the
new bearing.

Matt Colie

john m. wrote:

I have a Scampi 30 sailboat. The shaft has a thrust bearing behing the
propeller that is made out of some kinda oil impregnated plastic. This
is wide open to the outside. I want to replace this friction bearing
with a thrust roller bearing. I am thinking that I should get an
encapsulated stainless bearing but I cant find such an animal. Can
somebody point me in the right direction, or tell me if this is a good
idea.. Thank You